Who here thinks aquaruim calculators are inaccurate?

vampireshrimpfan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am talking about all of them. They say my 29 gallon is a 17 gallon. Tjey also say my 5 gallon is a 3 gallon. Isn't that odd.

peddidle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What measurements are you putting in? I’ve only ever used one site and didn’t find it inaccurate as far as tank size was concerned.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is it in the correct units of measure? I agree with pediddle. It’s been awhile, but the few that I have used have been pretty much spot on.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They all work perfectly for me too. What are the dimensions of your tanks?

RDcompton03

Reaction score
Calculating gross volume of your tank is easy and accurate. Determining the volume of water it holds is what is difficult and less accurate. It comes down to how deep your substrate is and how much area in the tank is taken up with hardscape, equipment, etc.

OP
vampireshrimpfan

vampireshrimpfan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
RDcompton03 said:
Calculating gross volume of your tank is easy and accurate. Determining the volume of water it holds is what is difficult and less accurate. It comes down to how deep your substrate is and how much area in the tank is taken up with hardscape, equipment, etc.
That's true.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
vampireshrimpfan said:
That's true.
It is true, but if you input the dimensions of your tank it should still read as a 29 gallon tank. A 29 gallon tank won't hold 29 gallons of water even when there is no substrate or decor, but when you input the dimensions into a tank volume calculator it should read as 29 gallons.

What dimensions are you putting in? For it to read as 17g you would have to be off somewhere by quite a bit or the tank isn't as big as you were sold.

OP
vampireshrimpfan

vampireshrimpfan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It took me 3 ten gallons to fill it. Maybe I just need to know how to use an aquarium calculator.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
vampireshrimpfan said:
It took me 3 ten gallons to fill it. Maybe I just need to know how to use an aquarium calculator.
Ah, I see. I was under the impression that the calculator said the tank was 3 gallons based on the dimensions.

The reasons that your tanks hold less than they "should" is because they are measured based on their outer dimensions, not their inner. A 29 gallon tank really only holds around 25 gallons of water. A 5.5 gallon really only holds about 4.8 gallons of water and so on. They are still considered 29 gallon and 5.5g tanks.

When you take substrate and decor into account its even less.

OP
vampireshrimpfan

vampireshrimpfan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Feohw said:
Ah, I see. I was under the impression that the calculator said the tank was 3 gallons based on the dimensions.

The reasons that your tanks hold less than they "should" is because they are measured based on their outer dimensions, not their inner. A 29 gallon tank really only holds around 25 gallons of water. A 5.5 gallon really only holds about 4.8 gallons of water. They are still considered 29 gallon and 5.5 gallon tanks.

When you take substrate and decor into account its even less.
I agree

New Threads