Who here keeps North American subtropical fish?

QCAquaholic

I'm thinking about doing a tank with shiners, daces, darters and the like.

chromedome52

Look up the North American Native Fishes Association. I have friends in this group with tanks of some really beautiful minnows. People are always amazed at the color of some of our native species.

QCAquaholic

chromedome52 said:
Look up the North American Native Fishes Association. I have friends in this group with tanks of some really beautiful minnows. People are always amazed at the color of some of our native species.
Already part of the Facebook group!

Frank the Fish guy

I recently learned that in China, they sell the 'rare North American pumpkinseed fish' as a high priced prized exotic aquarium fish.

Last time I went fishing with my kids we caught a dozen!

Meanwhile, we pay $100 for a rare Piccaso Trigger fish. I was in French Polynesia and I saw the local kids catch Piccaso Triggers at the shore, and eat them in a sandwich!

I think your minnow tank will be awesome! The rare North American Dace! ;)

We have a fish in the Patuxent river called 'Fall fish'. I've always wanted to start a tank of these guys.

1600633523466.png

QCAquaholic

I've been looking into microfishing so I can just catch my own. I have pretty much everything except size 20 or smaller hooks.

Frank the Fish guy

You just can't put them back. Check your local rules. But usually, you are not allowed to return any fish back to the waters. But any fish you can harvest, you can keep.

Mr. Kgnao

I've kept quite a few species of North American minnows (Pimephales promelas and Pimephales notatus mostly). They're nice little fish, hardy, peaceful, outgoing, easy to feed, easy to spawn. The darters I've kept (almost exclusively Etheostoma nigrum) were interesting, but much more reclusive, somewhat aggressive, and very difficult to get on flakes.

BigBeardDaHuZi

Frank the Fish guy said:
I recently learned that in China, they sell the 'rare North American pumpkinseed fish' as a high priced prized exotic aquarium fish.

Last time I went fishing with my kids we caught a dozen!

Meanwhile, we pay $100 for a rare Piccaso Trigger fish. I was in French Polynesia and I saw the local kids catch Piccaso Triggers at the shore, and eat them in a sandwich!

I think your minnow tank will be awesome! The rare North American Dace! ;)

We have a fish in the Patuxent river called 'Fall fish'. I've always wanted to start a tank of these guys.

1600633523466.png
Pumpkinseed are absolutely gorgeous. Green sunfish are really pretty and have a lot of personality. If your tank is big enough, rock bass are pretty amazing too.
We kept them when I was young, my brother and I. The rock bass and green sunfish would eat from your hand. The green would actually jump for nightcrawlers.

QCAquaholic said:
I've been looking into microfishing so I can just catch my own. I have pretty much everything except size 20 or smaller hooks.
Even netting for minnows would feel like an expedition. The sunfish we kept were all caught on a hook though

chromedome52

I like native minnows with color, like this:

Notropis chrosomus male.JPG

or maybe this:

welaka display.jpg

unless you prefer red, like my friends:DSC_0034.JPG

HA HA, fooled you! The last picture is the same species as the first picture, except in breeding colors!

BigBeardDaHuZi

Th
chromedome52 said:
I like native minnows with color, like this:

Notropis chrosomus male.JPG

or maybe this:

welaka display.jpg

unless you prefer red, like my friends:DSC_0034.JPG

HA HA, fooled you! The last picture is the same species as the first picture, except in breeding colors!
Those are Fantastic!

Top Bottom