Here's a shot of both:
20190207_124414.jpg

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
F6C10EC3-2F39-4D40-A3BC-6CA3E562BFF2.jpeg
I have both bosmani and praecox rainbow fish. What’s great about rainbow fish is you don’t need a big group of one type to get them to school. Rainbow fish of most types will school together. When they start swimming most of my mid to top fish get involved. I have Buenos aris tetras and Golden wonder killifish that swim right with them.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have M praecox, M boesemani and M trifasciata. I did try breeding the praecox but only 11 survived. 7 are normal sized and 4 are runts so they're separated. I'm currently raising some M trifasciata fry. 4 survived from the first batch and are about 10 weeks old and the last batch is about 3 weeks old with about 75-100 fry (hard to count). Almost all the fry from the first batch died right after hatching or within 24 hrs but 4 survived and are doing really well now. I'm optimistic about the 2nd batch as they're 3 weeks old. I split them in to 2 groups. I'm raising about 50 in a floating 2 liter container and have had a few losses. The rest have been in the main tank (20g long) and it looks like less than half are remaining.

A few of the praecox breeding group
DSC_0396.JPG

5 of the 7 praecox I raised
DSC_0484.JPG

M trifasciata male
DSC_0126_edited-1.jpg

M trifasciata female
DSC_0487.JPG

M trifasciata fry
2019-01-24 18.51.10.jpg

LeahsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am in the process of setting up a 55 gallon just so I can watch these beauties race each other! I love them. I have 3 dwarf neons and 2 turquoise, and 1 I’m not sure about. I will be adding more of each as soon as the new tank is cycled.
IMG_3356.JPG
IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0355.JPG

Aqua Fan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love my rainbow fish. I have 2 blue, 2 red and 2 Boesemani. My wife thinks they are boring and don’t have much character but I totally disagree and ive fallen for the little guys hook, line and sinker (forgive the pun lol).

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
03C8C1C0-795E-4D42-906E-F495A437F033.png
I have rainbow fish in my cichlid tank!
5-Redfin Dwarf Rainbowfish - Melanotaenia maccullochi and
5-Wapoga Red Laser Rainbowfish - Melanotaenia Rubrivittata
Here's a shot of both:
View attachment 526672
I think this is the adult version of your upper fish. A great looking fish that reminds me of striped bass. The lower I believe is a praecox. By me called dwarf neon rainbows.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
View attachment 526774

I think this is the adult version of your upper fish. A great looking fish that reminds me of striped bass. The lower I believe is a praecox. By me called dwarf neon rainbows.
Yes, I like the striped bass look! But the bottom one is a Red Laser. They look very similar to the praecox but as adult have horizontal red stripes and are more streamlined than the praecox. They're still too young for me to tell the males from the females. But hopefully there is a male in this group. Here are some other pics of some.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/bluegrassaquatics.com/amp/red-laser-neon-rainbow-wapoga-medium.html
http://www.petworldrochester.com/wapoga-red-laser-rainbow/

LeahsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, I like the striped bass look! But the bottom one is a Red Laser. They look very similar to the praecox but as adult have horizontal red stripes and are more streamlined than the praecox. They're still too young for me to tell the males from the females. But hopefully there is a male in this group. Here are some other pics of some.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/bluegrassaquatics.com/amp/red-laser-neon-rainbow-wapoga-medium.html
http://www.petworldrochester.com/wapoga-red-laser-rainbow/
Ohhhhh! Do the female Red Lasers have red fins? Or will they be yellow/orange like the praecox? I love my male praecox. The females are a bit boring, but they make the boy flutter with excitement. It would be cool to have the Red Lasers if they were all red!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom