Who here has a brackish tank?

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't seem to really hear much about brackish tanks. Just wondering who here has one and what they have.

I have a 55 with small green spotted puffers. I know that going to be too small a tank for them when they are full grown.
I still haven't decided if I want to get rid of one and keep the other two or just get rid of all of them and go full salt yet.
I have some base rock set up like you would live rock in mine. I have a med side power head (1200gph) to create a nice current.
I've not sure if I want to keep the powerhead in there. I've been watching them to see how they take to it, but I haven't had it in there long enough to decide yet.

There's just not a lot for brackish tanks in the way of fish. That's why I've been considering going full sw.

I'm just wondering who else has brackish and what kind of fish you had.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally I'd go brackish at first, unless you're prepared to invest (time, money and passion) into saltwater. Don't forget there is more equipment required to do saltwater that you don't need for brackish (e.g. skimmers, ro water etc etc)

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My brackish 55 is similar to yours (with some green spotted puffers) but I have an Archer in there and he gets along well with the puffers. And I only filled my 55 gal to around 45 gal for my Archer to practice his shooting skills. I have tons of driftwood in there along with some silk and plastic plants and some river rocks. Loads of hiding places and plants.

I've never had a brackish tank before so still getting use to mine (after switching from FW to BW a month ago).

Good advice from Ryan, SW absorbs loads of cash and you'll need to prepare for all the money and time put into it. I nearly tried SW once but figured that I'll wait another few years when I get a better job.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Personally I'd go brackish at first, unless you're prepared to invest (time, money and passion) into saltwater. Don't forget there is more equipment required to do saltwater that you don't need for brackish (e.g. skimmers, ro water etc etc)
I didn't know there were that many brackish fish out there. The mudskipper catches my eye. I may have to check in on it.

I know all too well of what's involved with a sw tank. I have a 150g reef tank that's been taking almost all my time. IMO it's well worth it though.

I do plan to set up a FOWLR. I just don't know it I want to use this tank for that.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Doh! had I bothered to check your info I would have seen you have a reef.... lol,

55 FOWLR could be cool, but I think I'd still go Brackish. Just cos it's less common, and you'd get to keep fish you've never had.

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I really wanted to start a brackish tank when I set up my recent aquarium but decided to hold off until I was better educated about them. There are some cool looking fish in BW tanks though!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom