Who Has Experience Propagating Madagascar Lace With Flower Seeds?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by bizaliz3, Apr 24, 2018.

1. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I've done a bunch of googling, so I don't need anyone to google it for me and tell me what they read. I would like to hear from someone who has actually successfully used the seeds from a flower from their Madagascar lace to make more lace plants. Or at least know more than what you can find with some google searches. I have read about propagating by separating the bulb. But I have this nice big flower that mine produced and I would like to use it to make more lace plants. Even if it takes years (as some links have suggested), I just want to know the best way to do it. I am not finding any solid answers.

I am just surprised it is doing so well in a warm tank with high lighting. Everything I read says they like lower lighting and cooler water. But this plant is huge and the runner is like 3-4 feet long! And it started in my tank as just a bulb.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what method people have used for propagating a Madagascar lace using it's flower. Thanks!!

2. DutchAquarium

DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I've never propogated the madagascan lace, but i've done a different aponogeton. Best thing i've found is to let them drop, and float until they grow. Don't touch them. I've tried doing it that way also and i didn't have as high of a survival rate.

3. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

thanks for the input @DutchAquarium
    I did read that the seeds from the flower should fall off and eventually find their way into the substrate. But then I read that it can take years for them to turn into plants. crazy!
    I saw someone in a thread on a plant forum talking about putting the seeds into a bowl or something? there weren't really any details though. Id like to try that especially if it takes a very very long time for them to develop. Who knows if the tank it is in will still be up and running in a couple years! I have a lot of tanks and I may downsize at some point (haha ya right) So keeping them in a bowl to develop would be nice. But what exactly would that entail? you know?

4. DutchAquarium

I think where i went wrong with putting the seeds into a bowel was that i didn't have any heat. Maybe putting the seeds into a small bowel with gravel, kept humid, and then putting it on one of those plant mat heaters would give you better success.

5. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

So you have heard of the bowl method too then?
    I have little tiny "tanks" that I could use. Like 1.5g. And a external heater. I could totally try that.....If its going to take years though....I'm not sure if it's worth it. Its not like they are that expensive if I want more. lol

6. DutchAquarium

I would use simply a tupperware container. I had another situation once where the green pods dropped into the water and then developed roots rather quick

7. DutchAquarium

I found a picture of what you might end up seeing. the green pods grow on the flower and then drop off. these pods then form roots in about a week. I can't post the picture in the forum because i don't own it so...heres a link. aponogeton seeds - Google Search:

8. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

The little tiny betta tanks I have (that are inappropriate for bettas) are just sitting collecting dust. So I might as well use them :)

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

9. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3