Who Else Is Bothered By This?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by guppiesandpuppies, Jul 20, 2017.

1. guppiesandpuppies

guppiesandpuppiesValued MemberMember

Often, it drives me crazy that the only way to keep our aquatic pets safe is with testing using dangerous chemicals. I'm constantly stressed about touching the chemicals or them getting on my clothes or forgetting to wash my hands between the end of the water testing and my next meal or washing my hands, but still accidentally not getting the chemicals off or other stuff related to the chemicals.

I'm willing to do it to keep the office fish and my fish safe, but it's a big hassle.

2. Kellye8498

Kellye8498Well Known MemberMember

Nope, I don't mind it at all. I don't try to touch the chemicals but if it happens I don't stress about it. Are you sensitive to them? They don't bother my skin personally so meh lol

3. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

There is absolutely no need to get the testing chemicals on your hands or clothes. Not sure how this would be happening to you. Wear latex gloves if it is a problem for you.

4. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

One big thing I worry about is the chemicals somehow accidentally getting in the tank. Another is them getting on my clothes then me accidentally touching them with my hand(s) on my clothes and then eating or not quickly washing them off of my hands.

5. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

You are looking for something to worry about IMO. With the slightest bit of care none of it will happen.

6. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

It happens because even with gloves, I'm sure the chemicals would sometimes drip into the gloves and they get on my clothes when I have to shake the test tubes with chemicals inside. The API test tube caps aren't great lol.

7. Kellye8498

Yeah. I can't imagine any way they could get into the tank. You aren't testing over your tank I hope. Just get your vials filled and then go somewhere else and test. I test beside the tank instead of over it. Just clean your vials out under the tap and put them away and you're good to go.

8. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Honestly, as much damage as I do to my hands already, (welder so burning, pinching, squishing, paint stripper, degreaser, cat scratches, grease and serious degreaser from the old car, chewing nails, chewing cuticles, grabbing weeds barehanded and getting them full of prickles, playing with fire, little dog with sharp teeth, ect ect ect) I really ain't to worried about it. I'm more worried about dripping it on to the floor and my landlord/mom killing me for *that*. Yes the chemicals are technically dangerous but the way I see it is that it is so little and unless you drink it or get it in an open wound, I don't think it will do much damage. It's more of a liability thing I think. By all means wash your hands when your done but it is the last thing on my mind. I'm not worried. I got enough stress in my life as is. :)

Honestly, as much damage as I do to my hands already, (welder so burning, pinching, squishing, paint stripper, degreaser, cat scratches, grease and serious degreaser from the old car, chewing nails, chewing cuticles, grabbing weeds barehanded and getting them full of prickles, playing with fire, little dog with sharp teeth, ect ect ect) I really ain't to worried about it. I'm more worried about dripping it on to the floor and my landlord/mom killing me for *that*. Yes the chemicals are technically dangerous but the way I see it is that it is so little and unless you drink it or get it in an open wound, I don't think it will do much damage. It's more of a liability thing I think. By all means wash your hands when your done but it is the last thing on my mind. I'm not worried. I got enough stress in my life as is. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2017
  9. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

My last post stands. Just wear gloves and be a little bit careful as it obviously stresses you. Pumping gas in your car or walking across the street is considerably more hazardous.

10. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

I wrap paper towels around the test tubes before I shake them and that prevents the chemicals from flying everywhere. :)

11. 2211Nighthawk

We have a saying for the chemicals we use at work. It's a welding/paint shop so there's a lot of them.
    "Don't drink it"
    That's a good 90% way of not getting sick right there.

12. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

Do you know those little syringes with the rubber caps? The rubber caps are perfect for keeping the liquid inside those test tubes...

image.jpg

13. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

I don't test over the tank (lol that would be crazy), but at home, the only place to test is near the tank and at the office, usually the only place to test is near the tank. But I just thought of the fact that I could shake the test tubes somewhere else so the chemicals would be less likely to get in the water. I try to always remember cover the caps with my thumb, but often, even when I do that, little bits of the water with chemicals come out.

14. Kellye8498

They are so diluted at that point that it isn't going to hurt anything. Don't stress yourself over things that won't hurt anything :)

15. MelloYello

MelloYelloValued MemberMember

I guess you can always switch to testing strips...

16. Kellye8498

I mean, we all dump them down our sink and into the water system and with so many of us testing, if it hurt anything we would know by now.

17. 2211Nighthawk

Agreed. @OnTheFly is right. Crossing the road (especially in Winnipeg (crazy drivers....) is ALOT more dangerous.

18. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

The PH tests are very good with a shot of vodka and lemon. A pretty shade of green when I have my water dialed in right. I'll stop now before I get another forum time-out. :)

Seriously though, unless you drink the test solution it or dump it in the tank I don't think you have a concern.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  19. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

I had no idea we could do that. I guess I just kind of assumed the paper towel would somehow interfere with the test. But if a lot of members here think that's fine, then ha ha I'm doing that from now on!

Nah, I want to be sure the tests are as accurate as possible.

20. MelloYello

MelloYelloValued MemberMember

If you watch the video he proves that they just about the same accuracy as the liquid test kits... Plus it would be way less stressful for you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice