Who doesn’t love a water science study

OutsideFoodBlob

I thought I would share this link to a study of the effects of potassium permanganate on the biota of fish skin/scales. In particular regards competition or protection against columnaris. It has given me food for thought in terms of why some medications or mix of medications seem more effective at treatment and recovery. Also was surprised that many a bacteria we consider a baddie can in appropriate numbers be protective against a much more lethal pathogenic bacteria.

Keep in mind this isn’t about whether you should or should not use oxidizers in a course of treatment just that it could strip your fish’s existing biota leaving them more susceptible to other things.,.sort of defeating the purpose. I think any oxidizer should probably be used with salt to buffer against this happening. So that the water column and surface areas are getting oxidation benefits.

Anyhoo, fellow nerds, enjoy.

Here’s the link: Potassium permanganate elicits a shift of the external fish microbiome and increases host susceptibility to columnaris disease - Veterinary Research

Cherryshrimp420

To me medications never made sense...there are too many microbes in the aquatic ecosystem, how do you target a specific one like ich, or velvet, or columnaris and avoid the others? You can't. These medications are simply designed for gram negative vs gram positive so you'll be killing a whole range of them.

Interesting study regardless, I'll still continue to take in all sorts of sick fish from friends and family and add them to my tanks. Ive seen them recover from all sorts of weird growth from just clean water and a low stress environment

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
Whitewolf
Replies
Views
Lucy

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom