Who Can Live In A 10g Halfmoon (by Marineland)?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Avy, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Avy

AvyNew MemberMember

First off, Thanks for reading and hopefully responding lol.

I impulse bought this tank and it's taller than the typical 10g, so I can't pug ADFs or a school of cory cats like I was hoping. It is planted and has a focal point decoration that makes for great hiding if a fish needs it. So my last thought is maybe a male betta and a bunch of shrimpos or about 3 female bettas and some snails.

1. Any other ideas?
    2. Are those ideas pretty solid?

Note: This tank is planted and has been sitting in my kitchen just waiting for something for like the past 5-6 weeks. It's cycled and ready for creatures.

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytankValued MemberMember

Typically for a betta sorority, you'd need 4 or more, so for a taller tank I'd say 4-5 with some nerite snails if you wanna go that route :]

3. shutterbug13

shutterbug13Well Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    I wouldn't do a sorority in this tank, a twenty gallon is the recommended minimum. A male betta with some shrimp and snails would work. Another option would be a few male guppies or endlers.

4. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

What are the dementions of the tank? I wouldn't do a betta sorority until you know the size of the tank, you need at least seven female bettas in a heavily planted twenty gallon tank. The betta's need to be put in at the same time too. I have personally seen most betta sorority crash after a few months to a year. It's not really something I would recommend for beginners.

If you can figure out the size of your tank then you can figure out what fish you can get in it.

5. dcutl002

dcutl002Well Known MemberMember

I recommend 10 gallon tanks as Betta tanks. Spice it up with some low light plants and decorations and you're set.

6. OP
    OP
    Avy

AvyNew MemberMember

Dangit. That makes sense though. Thanks for the minimum info! I'd likely do the male + shrimp over the guppies. I have a 125g with an annoying amount of guppies (amongst other super schooly fish).

7. Danjamesdixon

DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

8. OP
    OP
    Avy

AvyNew MemberMember

Oh no. I know the size of the tank. That's not the problem. I'm just realizing the ADFs couldn't really be safe there since it's so tall at 20 inches high. So they will be a dream for the future.

9. OP
    OP
    Avy

AvyNew MemberMember

YES. Why do I keep sleeping on Kilifish?! I've been Malawied out (our 75g = cichlids and they're about to hog up the new 125g). Anyway, thanks for putting these guys back on my radar. I'm mostly worried about the funkiness of this 10g tall tank. It seems when research says 10g they're really meaning 10g long.

10. Feesh404

Feesh404Well Known MemberMember

You can add 5-6 Male guppies (color doesn't matter)
    3 Platies (again color doesn't matter)
    1 Betta (divide it and get 2 bettas!)

11. DK42875Valued MemberMember

I love nano tanks and there's a lot more stuff you can add in a 10 gallon than most people think! Now I'm by no means an expert but I believe some options are:

2-3 dwarf puffers (doing a 5 gal for 1 now, cute fish!)
    3 scarlet badis (1 M and 2 F but females are pretty rare)
    1 betta + a snail maybe (not the huge ones like apple snails)
    all shrimp tank (start with maybe 10 or so, they'll probably breed to fill up the tank in no time, especially if they're RCS)
    all snail tank (don't know why anyone would want an all snail tank but it's an option)
    3 multifasciatus (believed to be the smallest cichlid in the world, needs high ph and will breed rather easily, mix of males and females)
    Endlers (not sure how many but apparently they breed fast, never kept them before.)
    Asian stone catfish (cool bottom dweller, not sure on tank mates)
    dwarf CPO (not sure how many)
    pygmy sunfish (not sure how many, rather rare)
    6 CPD (celestial pearl danio)
    6 ember tetra
    Small crab (like thai micro crabs who can be put with dwarf shrimp not not much else, very timid.)
    6 Pgymy cories (in addition to a peaceful tank mate like the endlers)
    I believe licorice gouramis (not sure how many)

This is off the top of my head, I'm sure there's much more.

12. DK42875Valued MemberMember

If you're interested in the multifasciatus, I believe some other cichlids that can fit are brevis and maybe 1 gold occie (this are stunning)

13. OP
    OP
    Avy

AvyNew MemberMember

LOL I'm the kinda weirdo who would have an all snail tank. But the CPD sound solid. I might be going with those or the kilifish suggested earlier. Bother weren't on my radar at all. I wouldn't do the pymy cories if they're as active as my regular (panda and green) ones. They go all over my 125 WAY more than the guppies, swordtails, and all the different tetras.

14. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

Snail tanks are fun. I have a snails with my shrimp. I also have mystery snails in my main community tank. One chestnut mystery snail likes to crawl onto me now every water change.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice