Who Can I Put With This Guy

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a nicely planted 5.5 with an AC20 turned down and was wondering if I could put a small school of micro fish with him. He’s a really laid back guy. ( don’t shoot me) but I also have 1 Otto cat in there and is very content with keeping the plants looking pristine. It’s been set up for about 8 months . Parameters are 0-0-10/20. 50-60% WC’s every 5-7 days like clockwork. Just finished a WC and here is the tank. Thanks for any suggestions!!

RyanC14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Otos prefer to be in shoals, you should get a few more otos or preferably get a larger tank.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Otos prefer to be in shoals, you should get a few more otos or preferably get a larger tank.
Thanks i have 7 in my 55. And TBH the one that is in this tank is by far the biggest and healthiest out of all of them. I also have 2 in a 20 long and 1 in an 8.8 and one in a 10. that all do fine. I'm just looking for a nano fish to add to this 5.5. Thanks

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmm a single fish or 2. Endler size fish. Most fish I'm thinking of should Have a school. Embers. Micro rasbos. Those type of fish.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmm a single fish or 2. Endler size fish. Most fish I'm thinking of should Have a school. Embers. Micro rasbos. Those type of fish.
Should i just scrap the whole idea or do you thing 4-5 nano schooling fish will do ok. I don't really want Embers they are really nice looking but i have a bunch of guppies in other tanks that also have interesting colors.

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
that betta is absolutely gorgeous and has very extensive finnage. guppies will be inclined to nip those fins.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its tough in a 5 gallon tank. I have seen it work and I have seen it fail miserably. So its a gamble.

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Should i just scrap the whole idea or do you thing 4-5 nano schooling fish will do ok. I don't really want Embers they are really nice looking but i have a bunch of guppies in other tanks that also have interesting colors.
oh sorry I mistook your comment

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Its tough in a 5 gallon tank. I have seen it work and I have seen it fail miserably. So its a gamble.
Yes i've seen many mixed results. If it didn't work out i can add them to my 55 or 20 long. They are both peaceful community tanks. Honestly all i'm looking for is a couple species names that "could" potentially work to see if their even available to me. Thanks!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Does this sound like an option? I've been raising about 15 green corys which are also in a 5.5 and getting bigger . Maybe a month or 2 old so they are still only about 1/4 inch or so. Would 5-6 of those work till i can transfer them to my 20 long with their parents eventually?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ohhh i like those... are they live bearers? I'm definitely going to look into seeing if i can possibly get them or Chilis.... Would Harlequin be too big to go in there? I'm pretty sure their redily available. I get my fish from Petco and Petsmart which are a mile from my house. But i do have a couple LFS that aren't too local. They are 30-40 minutes away. but could possibly have a better variety

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your tank looks great and in my opinion is screaming for cherry shrimp . Thing is it’s a 5 gal with 2 fish in there already. It’s pretty much full. Ottos are fine with shrimp the betta could be hit or miss. He may eat them. But with the amount of plants they could survive. 1 Otto is fine in a tank that size. Adding more is a death sentence for the ottos. I also put a pair of baby green Cory’s in my 5 gal shrimp tank and they did fine. But they were the only fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom