Who Belongs To An Aquarium Society?

Discussion in 'USA Aquarium Clubs' started by cm11599ps, Mar 23, 2010.

1. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I would really like to take the next step in the hobby and join a club. There's one that meets every month about 15 minutes from my house and I've been browsing their website for some time. It's a $25 per year to join.

What can I expect to get from joining the society? Who belongs to one? Any more details on your experiences?

I don't want to go to the next meeting and find like 3 people there. lol

2. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

I have no idea but have thought about it myself

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm a member of Atlanta Reef Club and will probably join the Atl. Area Aquarium Assoc. as well. I've been to several meetings of the reef club and one auction of the AAAA. IMO aquarium clubs are a great way to hear interesting speakers, make new friends, learn from other aquarists, and find cheap deals on fish and equipment. I think you should join. :)

4. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I second what Harpua said. The benefits that I've seen in the MAS are the same. Interesting, national-level speakers (Michael Hedwig was last month's speaker at MAS), meeting new people, each of whom is a potential wellspring of information, ridiculously cheap fish and equipment. There's almost always someone who's wanting to get rid of something or another, and the members get the good ends of the deals. I got a new kind of watersprite (it entered the aquarium industry in November) for seven dollars. A friend got another nifty plant for about the same, and we traded half and half. That was enough plants to fill out the gaps in my 90g, with extra to put in my 10g, for seven dollars.

5. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

I belong to one M.C.A.S (Motor City Aqurium Society)

You should exepect devoted hobbyiest. You will get or see fish that not so common. They have very great speakers and great hobbyiest that will give advice. I been to a couple auctions and got some really nice stuff (Cheap too)

If want join a fish club.Do it You wont regret it

CB

6. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Send them a e-mail and ask if you can come sit in on a meeting before you join. cant hurt to ask

7. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

They do offer guest passes from what I've read.

The only part that stinks is that they meet once a month and it was this past Friday. To make it worse, it was about the basics of setting up your first SW tank which is something I'm really interested in right now. lol

Perhaps I'll make the next one.

8. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

If you attended the meeting, you'd probably be interested! The dark side is even more addictive than FW... :p

9. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

lol, well I just shot off an email to the local club president with some questions so we'll see what happens. Next meeting is in about a month.

10. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

Got an email back today with some more info. They said there's about 60 members in total but about 40 people at any given meeting. Next meeting is about April 19 and the guest speaker is Discus Hans..  

I'm planning on attending.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice