Whitish Threads, Fuzzy Walls

bmblsad

Reaction score
My quarantine tank looks a little bit like my house
icon_wink.gif
It developed some white filament thready things that looked like cobwebs strung between the decor, heater, etc. about a week ago. I took a pipe cleaner and tried my best to remove by wrapping them around the cleaner, and removed all the decor. Now there's some fuzzy stuff growing on the walls that started out white but now looks more green. I attached a photo of the fuzzy walls but don't have a pic of the white filaments. Hope that helps.
algae white_sm.jpg

Anyway, I have no fish in the quarantine tank. The 5.5g tank is cycled with an Fluval/AQ 20 HOB and a heater. 1-2x per week I add a small amount of fish food to keep the cycle going and an occasional squirt of ThriveC (maybe every 10 days?). The water readings on Sept 24 were 8.4 pH (usually it's about 8.2), 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5 nitrates. About 2 weeks ago, I switched from an Aqueon 100533613 to a Nicrew HL3040 lite on the tank. It was after the light change that things started to grow. But likely, it's the user of the lite, not the lite causing the issues.

I've been using the tank to quarantine plants as they come in. I put the plants in the quarantine tank for 1-2 weeks, then move them over to the my stocked tanks.

So my questions are these:
  1. What is this stuff that has started growing?
  2. Should I completely strip the tank and start over?
  3. Can I clean the plants currently in the quarantine tank so I can move them to one of the stocked tanks? Or am I just inviting trouble?
Oh, and if you can't tell, I'm a newbie at all this.

Advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Beth

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Looks like alga, if no fish I would just keep your filter media in some tank water, clean everything good put back together, you wont lose your cycle and everything will be clean.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom