Whitish Fungus on Neon Tetras

Discussion in 'Neon Tetra' started by beautyfish, Mar 31, 2010.

1. beautyfishNew MemberMember

I have 5 neon tetras in the tank, and 5 "muttfish" that my friend gave me.3 out of 5 of the neons have little white flecks on their fins. I have this plant the fishstore gave me that i dont know the name (reliable fish store though), but its big and fluffy with little sticks or something for leaves--almost looks like it is a bunch of pine branches, but its soft. The same or at least similar white stuff is on the plant. I have other plants but there is none on them. I'm pretty sure the plant did not have the stuff on it when i bought it. The Neon's nip eachother anyways, so they have very frayed fins already. The neon that has the most white stuff was i think stuck in the plant (or just chillin) for i dont know how long, i just walked in and he was in there. I'm thinking that it might be finrot (?), and I have some Maracyn Two--i heard some people treat there tank with Maracyn Two anyways, so would it do any harm to put some in there? I just bought 6 neons to school/shoal with the two I already had, and 3 of the newbies died--one because it was weak (from the beginning it just kind of went with the tide, you know how it goes) and 2 died because my dad accidentally unplugged the heater while i was sleeping (about 4 hours), and they were already new to the tank so it was no suprise. Doubt the deaths have any relation, but im just saying. Any advice? :;dk

2. Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

If they seem to have appeared with the addition of a new plant there is also another possibility. It could be snail eggs. They've been known to hitch hike into tanks on plants. I wouldn't recommend medicating unless you know for sure that there is something that needs medicating. A picture would help alot.

3. beautyfishNew MemberMember

I only have iphoto for a camera. :( but I have seen the fish sitting on the ground every now and again...I don't know but i feel like I need to hurry up and take action

Looks like either ich, fin rot, or snails

:animal0068:I've merged your posts since they were back to back with no response.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
  4. Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

I notice your aquarium info states you haven't tested your parameters. That would be a good place to start. If you medicate when it is not necessary it could do more harm than good as medication treatments are extremely stressful to fish, not to mention most meds can have a negative affect on your beneficial bacteria. Plus, if it's not necessary than the exposure will allow your fish to build up a resistance to the meds thereby reducing their effectiveness when they really are needed. Lets rule out water issues with some tests and make sure of what you have before doing anything.

ICH and fin rot don't really look anything alike. Your first thought (judging by the thread title) was fungus. Since you're not sure what you have it would most definitely be better to wait until you do. If you treat for the wrong thing then you will be unnecessarily stressing your fish only to have to turn around and POSSIBLY medicate for something else.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  5. beautyfishNew MemberMember

It's not fungus--i looked up pictures. It is now only showing up on two tetras, but some of the fish are kind of resting on the ground occasionally. I did some research and apparently that can just be problems with the water, so im testing the water.

ok 0 ppm nitrite, 8.0 PH (eek), Ammonia .25, and nitrate 0

:animal0068:Back to back posts have been merged.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
  6. redlessiWell Known MemberMember

I would do a hefty (at least 30%) water change with prime every other day until the ammonia is 0 and see if it clears up.

7. beautyfishNew MemberMember

kk thanks. I found some pics and contacted the store so the white spots are just snail eggs, and i guess the rest is just from the levels being drastically different (PH too). I did a little water change (10%) today before i read this, and they are responding already. Thank you so much :;banaman

8. beautyfishNew MemberMember

Never mind!!! They're dropping like flies!!! another just went and one ore is certainly fading fast. HELP!!!

9. hyun007Valued MemberMember

beauty, did all the neon died?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice