White Worms?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Flyfrod, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Flyfrod

Flyfrod Valued Member Member

Upon feeding my bettas today I noticed tiny white worms crawling on the glass in my betta tanks. Does anybody know what they could be and do I need to get rid of them and how?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Those are most likely a type of planaria. Pure protein and your fish should love them. They usually show up when we've been overfeeding a little and the substrate needs a deep cleaning to get excess food and waste out :) We've all had them at one time or the other. They are completely harmless but a sign to watch our feeding and tank maintenance. Hope that helps :)
    Carol

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello FlyRod,

Sorry you're having to deal with new unwanted critters in your tank! I agree with Carol they are more than likely Planaria. Over feeding and substrate issues are the cause. Although the fish may love them, you don't want them to get out of control in your tank. When the Planaria start getting over populated they can irritate the fish.

It may take a good bit of large water changes / gravel vacuums to get rid of them.

Best wishes!
    Ken

4. OP
    OP
    Flyfrod

Flyfrod Valued Member Member

Thanks. I guess I'll have to start doing water changes every 2 to 3 days. Right now I go 4 to 5 doing 50%. I might get rid of the gravel to make it easier to vac.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Flyrod,

Keep in mind that your substrate houses good bacteria, should you decide to remove it, keep an eye on your readings in case you have a mini cycle.

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice