Question White Worms On The Side Of The Tank

Fslix19

New Member
Member
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
I had a 10 gallon tanks and only shrimps and snails lived there.. Last night I saw small white stuff on the side of the tank I thought it was nothing but it suddenly moves.. It was hanging on the side of my tank I was worried that it would harm my shrimps.
 

A201

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
4,419
Location
Oklahoma
Experience
More than 10 years
From your description it sounds like the problem is Detritus Worms. No worries, they won't hurt anything. Do a big 50% WC w/ thorough gravel vac. That should thin out the polulation. Be careful not to over feed.
 

Hikari

Active Member
Member
Messages
70
Reaction score
50
Location
NE Ohio
Experience
5 to 10 years
Could also be planaria. They look like tiny white specks on the glass, but if you look close, you can see them moving. They're also harmless.
 

Victoria99

Active Member
Member
Messages
166
Reaction score
60
Location
Wellington, Utah
Experience
4 years
Hikari said:
Could also be planaria. They look like tiny white specks on the glass, but if you look close, you can see them moving. They're also harmless.
From what I'm aware of, planaria are often confused with detritus worms. However, true planaria are carnivores, not detrivores, meaning that planaria are parasites and should be removed.
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,382
Reaction score
4,460
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
First of all identification most important, secondly if it is planaria they will kill your shrimp 100% so conformation is needed
 

Hikari

Active Member
Member
Messages
70
Reaction score
50
Location
NE Ohio
Experience
5 to 10 years
Victoria99 said:
From what I'm aware of, planaria are often confused with detritus worms. However, true planaria are carnivores, not detrivores, meaning that planaria are parasites and should be removed.
Oh dear. I was not aware. Thank you for the correction.
 

Victoria99

Active Member
Member
Messages
166
Reaction score
60
Location
Wellington, Utah
Experience
4 years
Hikari said:
Oh dear. I was not aware. Thank you for the correction.
Sure thing. I was literally just reading on this today, haha. Still learning about it all, but that's one thing I can say for certain.
 

Hikari

Active Member
Member
Messages
70
Reaction score
50
Location
NE Ohio
Experience
5 to 10 years
Victoria99 said:
Sure thing. I was literally just reading on this today, haha. Still learning about it all, but that's one thing I can say for certain.
Goes to show I should research things again once is a while. Back when I started, I looked up about planeria, and all the sources said they wouldn't bother healthy fish, so I never gave it much thought after that. One never stops learning in this hobby.
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,382
Reaction score
4,460
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
Hikari said:
Goes to show I should research things again once is a while. Back when I started, I looked up about planeria, and all the sources said they wouldn't bother healthy fish, so I never gave it much thought after that. One never stops learning in this hobby.
You are right they won't bother healthy fish in fact Mollies , GouramI and a few others will eat them but with shrimp they will go up under the carapace and eat the shrimp from the inside
 

Hikari

Active Member
Member
Messages
70
Reaction score
50
Location
NE Ohio
Experience
5 to 10 years
richie.p said:
You are right they won't bother healthy fish in fact Mollies , GouramI and a few others will eat them but with shrimp they will go up under the carapace and eat the shrimp from the inside
EWWW! That's horrible! Good to know in case I ever try dabbling in shrimp.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Fslix19

Fslix19

New Member
Member
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
They are gone..... Are they invading my shrimps guts? But the shrimps are fine... I don't know the reason why they are gone.. Maybe because of the sunlight or maybe they are already eating my shrimps

I really want to put any other fishes on my tank but I'm worried they will eat my baby shrimps

Sorry I can't take pic for small objects..
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,382
Reaction score
4,460
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
The chances are the were detritus and have gone into the substrait, they tend to appear if your over feeding especially in shrimp tanks as they have no predators they are harmless to shrimp, if they were planaria they can be identified by a distinct triangle or spade shape head, and as mentioned by Fahn it could also be other type of worm and safe to shrimp, things will appear in shrimp tanks that you don't normally see in fish tanks, if anything pops up again come back there's always someone here, and if you know someone that can take a picture have them do it.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
90
Guests online
2,380
Total visitors
2,470

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom