Help White Worms In Shrimp Tank

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey. They sound like detritus worms. If you knock one off the glass and it swims, that’s what you’ve got. From overfeeding/under cleaning of the substrate. Harmless.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I noticed today my shrimp tank has lots of tiny white worms. Very skinny and about a centimetre long.

Yesterday I found one of my rcs dead. Not sure it is related though.

Any idea on what it could be and how to solve it?

Glass is dirty as today is cleaning day
They’re detritus worms. They’re harmless but the water conditions they thrive in are not. They’re a sign of excess waste and food in the tank. They’re relatively harmless but can sometimes work their way in to the gills of fish and cause irritation. Few water changes will decrease their numbers. Also limit feeding for a while. Only feed small amounts as to not contribute to their population.

Alessandra525

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks. Yes indeed they swim. There are hundreds of them, I've now vacuumed the substrate and did a big water change. Will repeat the procedure in the afternoon hoping to get the number significantly down

Thanks - makes sense. I thoroughly cleaned substrate and did 50% water change. I have significantly reduced the visible number, but I'm sure there are quite a few more in there.

Tank has no fish, only red cherry shrimps. I'm planning to repeat the procedure in a few hours to eliminate some more. Hopefully that will not stress the shrimps too much

Last edited by a moderator:

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My corys loved them. Since I’ve got sand I’m not getting their little treats. Poor corys.

Alessandra525

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mine is a 1.5 gallon tank so there are only shrimps in there, as that it's too small for any fish (though it was sold as a Betta tank)

Don't think shrimps like to snack on them unfortunately

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine is a 1.5 gallon tank so there are only shrimps in there, as that it's too small for any fish (though it was sold as a Betta tank)

Don't think shrimps like to snack on them unfortunately
Luckily they’re not harmful. But, yeah, who likes worms in their tank. Besides corys.
And hopefully you won’t have anymore dead shrimp. When you can, update with a picture of your happy shrimp tank.

Alessandra525

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Luckily they’re not harmful. But, yeah, who likes worms in their tank. Besides corys.
And hopefully you won’t have anymore dead shrimp. When you can, update with a picture of your happy shrimp tank.
Much better looking today. Still a few worms, but it seems under control!!
Thanks for your help

Attachments

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just an fyi you might want to consider upgrading the shrimp to a five or ten gallon tank. Shrimp can be extremely sensitive and swings are diluted in a bigger tank if that makes sense. I notice you have a heater in there with them and the thermometer says the temperature is about 80 degrees. Shrimp really need 70-75 degrees. They will age and molt faster in high temps. I currently keep mine at room temperature, in the winter I keep a heater in the room with a temperature setting to keep the room temp steady.

Oh and in regards to worms those look like detritus worms. If you see short flat worms that stick to the glass, those are planaria which can harm shrimp.

Alessandra525

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just an fyi you might want to consider upgrading the shrimp to a five or ten gallon tank. Shrimp can be extremely sensitive and swings are diluted in a bigger tank if that makes sense. I notice you have a heater in there with them and the thermometer says the temperature is about 80 degrees. Shrimp really need 70-75 degrees. They will age and molt faster in high temps. I currently keep mine at room temperature, in the winter I keep a heater in the room with a temperature setting to keep the room temp steady.

Oh and in regards to worms those look like detritus worms. If you see short flat worms that stick to the glass, those are planaria which can harm shrimp.
Thanks, will lower the temperature.

Aroenias

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For sure look like ditritus worms. I have also recently dealt with them in my tank. Gravel vac and careful feeding my friend. They seemed to reduce dramatically in numbers after that a few times.

Best of luck to you, keep us posted.

Alessandra525

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Worms were again in the hundreds tonight after 3 water changes today.

So I emptied the tank, boiled the gravel, thoroughly washed everything and set it all up again.

I'm quarantining the moss ball, which is the only thing that couldn't be washed properly.

Will check tomorrow, hopefully this drastic measure will have the desired effect.

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow. I wouldn't have recommended something that drastic, I would have recommended maybe limit feedings and/or clean up leftover food. Hope you didn't negatively affect the cycle or the shrimp but sounds like there is the possibility...

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree. That may have been overkill. But, it’s done and I’m sure you’ve a lot less worms. Keep us updated on how the shrimp do.

Alessandra525

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Today 2 shrimps disappeared completely and found them stuck in the filter. They were probably so scared from yesterday that looked for a safe spot and got stucked. I freed them now, but not sure they'll make it as they were pretty badly squashed

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Today 2 shrimps disappeared completely and found them stuck in the filter. They were probably so scared from yesterday that looked for a safe spot and got stucked. I freed them now, but not sure they'll make it as they were pretty badly squashed
Sorry to hear that I hope they make it. I've had a lot of ups and downs with my shrimp too. They're such delicate creatures.

Snailerator

Valued Member
Reaction score
I noticed today my shrimp tank has lots of tiny white worms. Very skinny and about a centimetre long.

Yesterday I found one of my rcs dead. Not sure it is related though.

Any idea on what it could be and how to solve it?

Glass is dirty as today is cleaning day
Dose dog or cattle dewormer into your tank.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Please don’t dose your tank with dog or cattle wormer. Keep the substrate vacuumed when doing water changes watch how much you feed. The drastic changes your shrimp have been through is killing them not the detritus worms. Please please please don’t use wormers and you haven’t even been told which ones or why! Keep us posted. Ok?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom