White worms in my tank o_O?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by ILikeFishies, Jan 9, 2013.

1. ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

Okay guys, this is the second time i've seen this, i happened to be looking at my tank just now when i saw this really small worm like thing wriggling about in my tank. It wasn't that long though, i'd say about not longer than 1 inch. I was about to remove it but then my platy ate it =/. Did not get the chance to take a picture either.

The first time i saw this worm, i wanted to remove it too but then it somehow got stuck in between the plants and i accidentally cut it in half (somehow with my net) then both halfs started wriggling:)o) and got eaten by my fish =/.

Please dont tell me its some sort of parasite or something D: and that my fish are gonna die :x.

2. oscardudeValued MemberMember

Planaria? My angels keep them in check.

3. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Was it swimming, or crawling on surfaces? Planaria was my first guess too but they don't swim, and I don't think they get that big either.

4. geminichick_90Valued MemberMember

white worm sounds like detritus worm. from what i hear they are harmless but are an indication of over feeding and will go away on their own after cutting back on feeding

5. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Yup, Detritus worms, fish love them. They tend to be a sign of over eating but if it is just 1 or 2 then it isn't bad. They are normally in all tanks, we only see them when something is wrong, their population explodes or we move the gravel around.

6. ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

oh phew :eek:! i thought it was some sore of parasite.
    It was actually swimming, not crawling on the walls or anything, just wriggling around like that o.o
    I guess i should cut back on my feeding xD. I have been giving a little extra these days :p.

7. ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

so exactly how did the worms get into my tank?

8. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

....they just are. There are many things in your tank that just happen to be. You havn't seen the worst of it :p. If you ever get the chance, put some of the water from the water change under a microscope.

9. ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

what will i see D: ?

10. geminichick_90Valued MemberMember

lots of micro organisms. it's fum to see what lives with our fish and does no harm

11. crackedbackValued MemberMember

Detritus worms are harmless and live in every tank....do deeper cleanings and remove some gravel...no more than 1/4 inch....if all fails get some cory cats.....they love to snack on them...good luck

12. meagenValued MemberMember

I had an explosion of the planaria in my snails tank. After researching I found the wormer used for them are not snail safe!! The cory cats does work. I have 2 last night I put one of them in the tank all night and there seams to be less of the worms today. Tonight I will but the other cory in the tank and also I am doing a 48 hr fast trying to get rid of them. I hope that everything works out for you. Meagen

13. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Please note the dates on the threads.

I'm sure this issue has been resolved.
    Thanks!

14. ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

^^ its still nice to read some answers :p. My problem isnt exactly solved though, I still see these worms in my tank but im kinda used to them. My fish just snack on them so i just leave it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice