White worms in my tank o_O?

ILikeFishies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay guys, this is the second time i've seen this, I happened to be looking at my tank just now when I saw this really small worm like thing wriggling about in my tank. It wasn't that long though, i'd say about not longer than 1 inch. I was about to remove it but then my platy ate it =/. Did not get the chance to take a picture either.

The first time I saw this worm, I wanted to remove it too but then it somehow got stuck in between the plants and I accidentally cut it in half (somehow with my net) then both halfs started wrigglingo) and got eaten by my fish =/.

Please don't tell me its some sort of parasite or something D: and that my fish are gonna die :x.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Was it swimming, or crawling on surfaces? Planaria was my first guess too but they don't swim, and I don't think they get that big either.

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yup, Detritus worms, fish love them. They tend to be a sign of over eating but if it is just 1 or 2 then it isn't bad. They are normally in all tanks, we only see them when something is wrong, their population explodes or we move the gravel around.

OP
ILikeFishies

ILikeFishies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
oh phew ! I thought it was some sore of parasite.
It was actually swimming, not crawling on the walls or anything, just wriggling around like that o.o
I guess I should cut back on my feeding xD. I have been giving a little extra these days .

OP
ILikeFishies

ILikeFishies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so exactly how did the worms get into my tank?

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
....they just are. There are many things in your tank that just happen to be. You havn't seen the worst of it . If you ever get the chance, put some of the water from the water change under a microscope.

crackedback

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Detritus worms are harmless and live in every tank....do deeper cleanings and remove some gravel...no more than 1/4 inch....if all fails get some cory cats.....they love to snack on them...good luck

meagen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had an explosion of the planaria in my snails tank. After researching I found the wormer used for them are not snail safe!! The cory cats does work. I have 2 last night I put one of them in the tank all night and there seams to be less of the worms today. Tonight I will but the other cory in the tank and also I am doing a 48 hr fast trying to get rid of them. I hope that everything works out for you. Meagen

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Please note the dates on the threads.

I'm sure this issue has been resolved.
Thanks!

OP
ILikeFishies

ILikeFishies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
^^ its still nice to read some answers . My problem isn't exactly solved though, I still see these worms in my tank but I'm kinda used to them. My fish just snack on them so I just leave it.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom