White Worms Everywhere, Help!

axel

Member
I just rinse my new boyu ceramic ring (which contain active carbon) and put it in my tank.After that I do several water changes and notice floating white worms (1cm or less) wriggling everywhere .Where the **** did it come from? I didnt notice it the days before. Is it harmful?
you can see a small floating thread in surface
 

Attachments

Edwinstz

Member
Looks like bio film
 
  • Thread Starter

axel

Member
Edwinstz said:
Looks like bio film
no it's not .its wriggling and all over my tank.It's hard for my camera to focus since they are small (5mm-10mm).Now I'm afraid to touch my tank (infect me)
 

Edwinstz

Member
Wiggly , could be nematodes - round worms

You should take more pictures from a few angles for a more experienced person to chime in tho
 

Stephen Hiatt

Member
Are they on the glass? If so then it's likely Planeria. It may also be Detritus worms, as I've had them swim around in my tank after being knocked out of the soil.
 
  • Thread Starter

axel

Member
Edwinstz said:
Wiggly , could be nematodes - round worms

You should take more pictures from a few angles for a more experienced person to chime in tho
it looks like this, but there so many of them, and no it's not stick to glass. They just swim freely


Stephen Hiatt said:
Are they on the glass? If so then it's likely Planeria. It may also be Detritus worms, as I've had them swim around in my tank after being knocked out of the soil.
When I did water changed, I pour a bucket in the tank and it hit the bottom hardly, Is this the reason they came out? Or is it my new filter media?. Also I can't find them now,maybe my blood parrot eat them or they just hide lol
 

Stephen Hiatt

Member
axel said:
When I did water changed, I pour a bucket in the tank and it hit the bottom hardly, Is this the reason they came out? Or is it my new filter media?. Also I can't find them now,maybe my blood parrot eat them or they just hide lol
Were there worms before?
 
  • Thread Starter

axel

Member
Stephen Hiatt said:
Were there worms before?
It used to be a planted tank. There's seed shrimp and some hijacked snail, never seen any worm.Now it's a barebottom tank with a lot of liverock,decoration, and large driftwood
 

Edwinstz

Member
Perhaps they snagged a ride on the drift wood
 
  • Thread Starter

axel

Member
Edwinstz said:
Perhaps they snagged a ride on the drift wood
will it harm fish? Is it possible for human to be infected by that worm?
 

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Member
Looks like detritus worms to me.

Poor filtration, high bioload, over feeding, poor maintenance, can result in a population explosion. Having no substrate will cause them to move to the filter media, swim freely, or live anywhere they won't get eaten. They're harmless.. if left unchecked they can be an issue. Keeping up with maintenance and not over feeding will keep them under control.
 
  • Moderator

smee82

Moderator
Member
It sounds like detrious worms they will not harm your fish but are a sign that your tank needs a clean
 
  • Thread Starter

axel

Member
smee82 said:
It sounds like detrious worms they will not harm your fish but are a sign that your tank needs a clean
They appeared first time after I put bio ceramic (still new), is it possible they came from there? My blood parrot poop sometimes stuck in between rock and it hard to clean it because it's so heavy ,I just syphon it out from side to side. Are they eating fish poop or nitrate in my tank?
 

Stephen Hiatt

Member
axel said:
They appeared first time after I put bio ceramic (still new), is it possible they came from there? My blood parrot poop sometimes stuck in between rock and it hard to clean it because it's so heavy ,I just syphon it out from side to side. Are they eating fish poop or nitrate in my tank?
They really don't change anything in the tank.
 
  • Thread Starter

axel

Member
Stephen Hiatt said:
They really don't change anything in the tank.
how to get rid of it?
 

Stephen Hiatt

Member
  • Thread Starter

axel

Member
Stephen Hiatt said:
Water changes, and feed less.
Should be safe right put my hand in the bottom of my tank and syphon it out? a bit disgusted by the worms lol
 

Stephen Hiatt

Member
axel said:
Should be safe right put my hand in the bottom of my tank and syphon it out? a bit disgusted by the worms lol
They won't hurt you.
 
  • Moderator

smee82

Moderator
Member
They eat any organic wastes so poo, food or the gunk in your filter. I think they get into tanks via water
 
  • Thread Starter

axel

Member
smee82 said:
They eat any organic wastes so poo, food or the gunk in your filter. I think they get into tanks via water
is it possible to eliminate them all? I have been in this hobby for 2 years and for the first time see this worms
 
  • Moderator

smee82

Moderator
Member
axel said:
is it possible to eliminate them all? I have been in this hobby for 2 years and for the first time see this worms
Not that I know of. Ive always had them in my substrate but theyre not noticeable unless ive gone away for a while and my wife has over fed my tanks.
 

tysoh

Member
I just started my new Ranchu tank a month ago, and already noticed my tank got large amount of the same worms as yours, not sure where they are from also. However, my Ranchu seem to enjoy eating them. So I didn't bother anymore
 
  • Thread Starter

axel

Member
tysoh said:
I just started my new Ranchu tank a month ago, and already noticed my tank got large amount of the same worms as yours, not sure where they are from also. However, my Ranchu seem to enjoy eating them. So I didn't bother anymore
I vacuum the bottom and reduce feeding and I never saw them again. Work like magic
 

tysoh

Member
axel said:
I vacuum the bottom and reduce feeding and I never saw them again. Work like magic
I did exactly that and I have no gravel. But it seems still a lot living in the filter. I have even tried rinsing the filter but no use
 

FishL:))

Member
I've heard that sometimes people put shrimp in their tanks to eat them...
 

oOBlueOo

Member
I had an explosion of these in a 10 gallon that I was ignoring. (Just a snail tank). I emptied it til there was 10% water and wiped down the glass with a paper towel.

There's not as many as before and I added a betta that likes to eat them. They look kinda gross, but it's free fish food.
 

tysoh

Member
oOBlueOo said:
I had an explosion of these in a 10 gallon that I was ignoring. (Just a snail tank). I emptied it til there was 10% water and wiped down the glass with a paper towel.

There's not as many as before and I added a betta that likes to eat them. They look kinda gross, but it's free fish food.
Yea it's free food I saw 3 of my ranchu always feed on them good calcium?
 

ChapouJunior

Member
Those are probably detritus worms often leave the gravel and cling to the sides, usually close to the surface as oxygen depletion due to the cumulative effects of increased organic mulm, cloudy water and simply too many of them in the substrate will make them go to the surface for oxygen.

Too little flow, too much organic matter, deep substrate, low PH, high or Low Oxygen. That's the only thing I can think of that creates those worms... Oh and overstocking or overfeeding. But complete removal is not necessary and not even recommended since these are excellent composters. (But I know its kinda gross lol) but the fact that they are getting near the surface means they can't get any oxygen in the substrate, do you have an air stone?

axel said:
is it possible to eliminate them all? I have been in this hobby for 2 years and for the first time see this worms
It does not harm fish, fish will love them, its a great source of healthy food, plus they help for waste. It can't harm you either, don't be scared of putting your hands in the tank, as, (if you want to get rid of them) you'll have to vaccuum, change water, vaccuum, change water. I recommend feeding less too. Don't be nervous about that, it's not harmful at all. It's just not esthetic. Good luck!
 
Top Bottom