White Wormish things? HELP!

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Helios has some white, kind of worms that are ALL OVER the walls of the tank, floating on the water's surface, he's eating them! I have absolutely no idea what they are!! They're absolutely TEENY TINY! You wouldn't see them if you were 2 feet away, you have to be close to see them, but they are, infact, moving...since you can see when they make big movements, but because of the size, I can't take any pics to show. It came to me, that maybe it's good bacteria that he tank needs? Though, at the hundreds?! And I was under the impression that he good bacteria was in the filter and gravel, not to mention microscopic! These worm-ie, little bacteria, parasite maybe? It's worrying me, especially since Helios is the HEALTHY betta. :'( I don't want there to be two sick bettas that I have to medicate all the time. Can't they just be healthy? However! Helios' attitude and personality is FINE. He's swimming around like normal and acting like normal. The only differences that i've seen is that he's been eating them.

Anywho- So my question is this:

1.) Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, how did they get rid of it??

2.) Does anyone know what it is?

3.) HELP!!

poefox

Well Known
Reaction score
No, these worms occur when there is waste they can feed off in the tank. I'm not sure that they harm him but they can apparently generally harm the environment. However you might be better off asking people in the disease section...or searching for 'white worms' in the form because I'm sure there was a thread on that before in the disease section.

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
I did a search, and the only thing I came up with was that it's due to too much food, and/or gravel? I'll admit, there's a lot of gravel in my tanks, but the food is just... not an option. The bettas eat everything and anything that floats on the tank's surface.

So if I do a large water change tomorrow and vaccume the gravel, do you think they'll go away? I can't find much on them, and my skin is beginning to crawl and i'm getting all itchy. I can only imagine how Helios feels. :-\

Thanks for the responce Poe! I did read that the worms are harmless and will just be extra protien! haha Hopefully, that's true!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
~Sparkling Diamonds~ said:
I did a search, and the only thing I came up with was that it's due to too much food, and/or gravel? I'll admit, there's a lot of gravel in my tanks, but the food is just... not an option. The bettas eat everything and anything that floats on the tank's surface.

So if I do a large water change tomorrow and vaccume the gravel, do you think they'll go away? I can't find much on them, and my skin is beginning to crawl and i'm getting all itchy. I can only imagine how Helios feels. :-\

Thanks for the responce Poe! I did read that the worms are harmless and will just be extra protien! haha Hopefully, that's true!
I don't know if they're the good, the bad or the ugly.. well, ok they're the ugly. But I'd be doing what you said - large water change, vacuuming the gravel (i'd even consider taking it out and cleaning it good. Check the filter & all for the little critters too. At the least, I'd not want Helios over-eating and they'd 'bug' me too. :

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
It sounds like planaria, which is generally harmless to Bettas according to what I've seen posted here.  And, they're not harmful for Helios to eat as they provide a source of protien.  Though I'd advise you to further check it out, it doesn't seem like anything to worry about.

Mike

shollia

Reaction score
Sounds like it's just an outbreak of planaria.
They're pretty harmless, but do indicate that something might be wrong with your tank.
Possibly overfeeding, or ammonia readings, or you need to give your gravel a good vacuuming.

How much are you feeding your betta? Making sure to take out whatever he doesn't eat? How often do you do water vacs? What's the ammonia reading in your tank?
Just do some water changes, scrub the sides of the tank with a brush, and get the water quality better and they'll eventually go away on their own.
My 10 gallon was infested with them, they're still there but definitely not as much as before.
Same with my 28 gallon. It also had an outbreak and water changes every day along with really good gravel vacs with some tank scrubbing did the trick.

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
I had planeria in Grims tank too.. It FREAKED me out, but I read here that they are harmless, and GrI'm ate them and he is fine. So do not worry about it. Be careful not to over feed, give your tank a few water changes, and you'll be in good shape!

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
I have personally never had the little wormy things, however from the posts I have read on the forum, and as the others have said, they are a harmless source of protein. I would do as the others suggested though and do a thorough vacumming and some water changes. I don't think I would like to see them in my tank either, even if they are harmless.

CherryRose

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
oh yeah, you may want to cut back on the food a little bit.. I dont' mean don't feed him, but if you are feeding blood worms (also high in protien) you may want to ease up on them until the planaria are gone.

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
I don't think the food is an issue. I put in 4-6 bloodworms at meal time. Which is once in the morning and once at night and that's it. But I vaccumed the gravel, and did a 25% water change, and the majority of them have gone. And I think helios is finishing off the rest of them. Haha Thanks everyone for the help! They jsut freaked me out, and seriously made my skin crawl.

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with the planaria diagnosis. Keep up the gravel vacs. Try vacuuming 50% of the gravel each time you do a water change, and make sure you also vacuum under your decorations. This should help keep them at bay. They are considered a treat to the fish, and won't hurt them a bit.

New Threads