White Worm Inside Ghost Shrimp

Aquariumlover1357

Hi everyone!

I've had a group of 5 ghost shrimp in a one gallon tank for about a month now, and from a few days after I got them, I noticed that there was a white string-like thing inside one of the shrimps. Since I was kind of a newbie to shrimps and thought that it was probably just its stomach or something, I ignored it. Today, the shrimp infected seemed very lethargic, and is laying on a plant (not dead, since it moved when tweezers came near it). It's a wonder how it even lived this long. I searched the web for information about this, and horsehair worms seems to fit the description 100%

I've checked all the other shrimps, and none of them seem to have a worm in them yet. What should I do? I am so grossed and freaked out by this. This is literally my worst nightmare, and parasitic worms in general make me very squeamish. Is there any natural way to treat this? Should I separated the shrimp so others that might not have been infected won't get it? Is it possible to quarantine it using a jar of some sort, since their tank is already my quarantine tank? Any help is appreciated!

Demeter

Ghost shrimp can sometimes be found with horse hair worms inside them. It is a nasty parasite that will eventually kill the host. If you can get a picture we can verify it is indeed a nasty worm.

If it is a horse hair worm I suggest you euthanize the shrimp and toss it in the trash.

richiep

What your describing is horse hair, get it out

Aquariumlover1357

Thank you guys! I just saw the pictures of horsehair worms. I am so grossed out, and seriously wanna puke. Yes, I am very sure that is is horsehair. How should I euthanise? Or should I maybe put it in a mason jar so it might still live the rest of its life? I just watched a video of a guy chopping off a shrimp's head. I don't have clove oil. Is there a better way to end its life?

richiep

The shrimp is already suffering so will be best to euthanise, you'll do the shrimp z favour cutting its head off

Aquariumlover1357

richiep said:
The shrimp is already suffering so will be best to euthanise, you'll do the shrimp z favour cutting its head off
Oh. Off with its head... I guess. Thanks!

Aquariumlover1357

I actually chose to do the freezer method, and he's currently in my fridge right now with some of his tank water. I heard that with smaller fish, the fridge then freezer method is painless, and I'm not sure I could de-brain the shrimp after I cut its head off. It just seemed the most painless way.

Feels weird having dinner while my shrimp in dying, but what can I say? It's my first time euthanizing a pet at home. RIP shrimp #5.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom