White Thing On Cory Fin

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Samanthaljay, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Samanthaljay Valued Member Member

Hi all

I noticed something on one of my corys fins this evening, for lack of a better description it is a white hangy thing. It doesn’t appear to be fluffy but almost like the same texture as his fin. He is acting normal and eating. I’m not sure exactly what to do or if I should even do anything other than keep an eye on it at this point. I don’t have an extra tank to move him to as my Quarantine tank currently has 3 honey gourami in it. Any thoughts? Sorry the pictures aren’t the best but I tried getting different angles. :(

Attached Files:

2. A201 Well Known Member Member

That looks like a damaged dorsal. The white stuff is a fungus that has attached itself to the dead or damaged tissue. No worries, clean water & good nutrition should heal it up. You might use Melafix, as a disinfectant, but you probably won't need it.

3. Samanthaljay Valued Member Member

Thank you! I just changed the water Sunday so maybe I’ll do another change tomorrow after work. I do have melafix on hand but I’ll wait to see how it goes before I use it. One of them now that I think about it did hit the decor piece a bit harder then normal a few days ago after zooming around, maybe it was him

4. Tony_P New Member Member

I am curious as to how this worked out. My girl, Bronzie, a bronze cory developed something similar that we noticed yesterday. In fact it is in exactly the same place. She's acting perfectly normal, playful and swimming around. Went off to my local pet store -- actually a big box pet store as my local neighbourhood shop is temporarily closed -- and they said water changes and a dose of aquarium salt. Haven't done that yet. Will do tonite.

Tony