White stuff on the water surface

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by DrSahl, Aug 9, 2015.

1. DrSahlValued MemberMember

Hi again... Another question (it seems that starting a new tank spawns questions now and then)

I can see alot of white flake kinda things on my water surface, I am abit unsure if this is just the tank blooming or if its caused by something else ? its been a little white 5 days ago, but not as milky as my old tank.

Its been running for 7 days now (with enhancement to kick start the cycle)

Here is a few pictures.

imageimage

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I've never seen anything like that before. Is the tank covered?

3. DrSahlValued MemberMember

Yes its covered.

I wonder if it might be the driftwood ? I used boiled water on them etc and normaly thats is more than adviced (its from the lps)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  4. DrSahlValued MemberMember

I've heard from people it might be protein ? but that makes little sense to me or it might be fungus ? makes no sense either unless its from the driftwood.

So well I am still at a loss to what it can be, its become much smaller in size after a little water change

5. DrSahlValued MemberMember

Seems like it might be due to the Bactozym I used. Its become better after a water change and the lfs says its nothing to worry about. So if anyone see similar in their tank, they should not worry, but just do normal water changes.

6. RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

Is this a tank that was used before? Looks like some residual hart water deposits may have flaked off and are now floating. Try scooping some of it out. Best of luck.

7. DrSahlValued MemberMember

I did a little water change and got most of the large parts out. there is still a fine layer of this in the surface, but it does not look that bad anymore as before.

Its a new tank never been used before, I sure hope its not my local water that is too hard, I've never had any problems with water before in my country (its very high quality) but ofc a few places the water might be hard.

Here is a picture of how it looks now

8. RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

Odd, maybe dust from the gravel when you filled up the tank.

9. DrSahlValued MemberMember

I rinsed the gravel 10 times :D I doubt its the reason. But my LFS says its not anything to be worried about and that its likely bacteria (from the product) it didnt need all of it to cycle.. but who knows it might be dust as well.. I personaly have never seen this before, thus the reason I got worried.

Water quality is fine. so should not be that and its not something alive (worms, fungus, etc) so well...

10. DrSahlValued MemberMember

Its become alot better after I used a fine net to take much of the white stuff and I put more circulation. If anyone else gets something like this, do a little water change, do more circulation and use a fine net to gather the stuff.

Picture.