White stuff on Mystery snails shell

1. slashgash Member Member

Ive had 2 Black Mystery snails for about a month now and there shells seem to be deteriorating. They're losing color, cracking, and some white stuff has appeared on the back of each of thier shells. They are currently in a 10 gallon with 3 African Dwarf frogs and a betta. Ive included a picture of the back of one of thier shells.

[​IMG]

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Double check your pH level and make sure that it is 7.0 and above. When the pH falls below 7.0 the acidic water can cause the snail shell to erode.

Adding a calcium supplement such as egg shell into a mesh bag and placing it in the tank will help. Feeding raw zucchini will also give the snails additional calcium.

Check out the link below:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/snails/52969-mystery-snail-care.html

Best wishes for your snails!

Ken

3. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Exactly what Ken said :)

4. slashgash Member Member

Okay, I put some egg shells in the foot of a nylon stocking and put it in the tank. Is that Okay?

5. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

That should help a bit. Over time their shells will erode quite a bit anyway. It is a normal part of their aging. But if they are young (6months - year) it shouldn't really be happening unless the waters ph is low. If there is any driftwoon in the tank, I would remove that too.

You can also buy (cheap) those bonemeal wedges that are for birds and sink that in the tank. It will leach calcium as well. Or, you can buy calcium carbonate pills (make sure its the only ingrediant, ie. not calcium and vitamin D) and drop one of those in every few days. They will actually go over and eat the disolved pill. :)

6. slashgash Member Member

No, theres no driftwood in the tank. And I have no clue how old they are, I got them from a pet store.

7. Paintcraze Member Member

Zucchini is actually a poor source of calcium.....greens such as kale, parsley, beet greens, and spinach contain much more. I know this because I have osteopenia and need to eat a calcium-rich diet myself!

8. slashgash Member Member

Thank you, paintcraze, Ill make sure to pick some up when i see some.