White Stuff On Fish’s Fin

Django

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could someone tell me what my black skirt tetra has? I’ve posted a few pictures. The other day I noticed some white stuff on his left lateral fin. I’m not sure if it’s ich or some fungus. I’ve had this tetra for many years. I keep him in a ten gallon tank with three other tetras and four Dalmatian mollies. All the water parameters are in acceptable range(ph, ammonia,, nitrates, nitrite). The temperature is about 76 degrees.

Attachments

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My guess is that a fungus has attached itself to an abrasion on the fin. Clean water should clear it up, or you might consider using Melafix.

OP
D

Django

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are there other options besides melafix? That would require removing carbon from the filter and I have the other fish in the tank to consider. Also, I don’t have a hospital tank.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Melafix is a tea oil product. It is more or less an antiseptic and won't hurt the tankmates.

OP
D

Django

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok so if I use melafix I’ll have to remove the carbon. How long do you think the fish could tolerate unfiltered water?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm guessing your power filter has a media cartridge. If so don't remove it when using Melafix. I don't believe the carbon will have any effect on its potency.

OP
D

Django

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok thanks. First I’ll try partial water changes every few days to see if it resolves. If not, I’ll try the melafix.

New Threads