White stuff on bettas mouth

Lizzie3214

Hi, my betta have been very lethargic and now has white stuff around his mouth. I’ve been doing water changes and gave him betta fix. He is in a 5 gallon filtered and heated tank. My parameters all seem in line. I’ve been thinking it might be ick?

AquaticQueen

Could I have a pic? Stay away from any of the "fixes". They coat a betta's labyrinth organ and make it difficult to breathe.
Seems more like mouth disease or fungus to me if it's on the mouth, but I'll need a pic to be sure.

Lizzie3214

AquaticQueen said:
Could I have a pic? Stay away from any of the "fixes". They coat a betta's labyrinth organ and make it difficult to breathe.
Seems more like mouth disease or fungus to me if it's on the mouth, but I'll need a pic to be sure.

Attachments

AquaticQueen

I would do 30% water changes every other day and add aquarium salt (1/2tsp per gallon). I would also add a couple Indian almond leaves to boost his immune system.

Lizzie3214

AquaticQueen said:
I would do 30% water changes every other day and add aquarium salt (1/2tsp per gallon). I would also add a couple Indian almond leaves to boost his immune system.
Thank you. Does it look like ick?

AquaticQueen

Lizzie3214 said:
Thank you. Does it look like ick?
Not to me. Looks like mouth rot. Ick looks different.

Lizzie3214

AquaticQueen said:
Not to me. Looks like mouth rot. Ick looks different.
How does he get mouth rot? Will the salt help?

AquaticQueen said:
Would I add the salt with every water change? The amount of new water I added?

Rockymountainstream

Remember that salt doesn't evaporate. So only add back what you took out. Example if you put one tbsp for 4 gallon. Then you took out 1 gallon. You would only put a quarter tbsp back in alone with the one gallon of water.

AquaticQueen

Lizzie3214 said:
How does he get mouth rot? Will the salt help?

Would I add the salt with every water change? The amount of new water I added?
1. Bad water quality usually.
2. Yes. The salt should help with the mouth rot.
3. In this case, I would.

Top Bottom