White Stuff On Betta’s Head?

jessatiel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I did a fishless cycle over the course of 7 weeks.
Parameters:
80F
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
(Nitrate was under 5 after the last big water change I did when the cycle completed, but I haven’t tested nitrates in the three days since then)
Ph: 7.6
Tank: 20g tall
Filters: penguin 150, and another 100gph one whose name I can’t remember.

I only see the white stuff on the betta’s head... not on other fish, or on the surfaces of the tank

jessatiel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OneLittleBubble said:
Do you have a heater and when was the last time you did a water change
Last water change at end of cycle was three days ago (more details in the other reply I posted, above).

Yes, I have a heater, and temp is at 80F.

jessatiel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For comparison, here’s his face, yesterday (no white gunk).

I’ll also try to get a head-on photo when I get home, tonight.
IMG_1852.jpg

jessatiel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
UPDATE: I came home at lunch to check on him, and he had died. I’m so sad, and worried for the other fish. His decline was so fast!!

I just checked water parameters, and the look ok (although I’ll do a WC to bing nitrates down).

IMG_1877.JPG

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Did he have any cotton growth around his mouth or gills or fins? Bettas seem to be prone to columnaris if they get too stressed out (This is my experience, don’t take this as fact) and I lost a whole sorority this way

jessatiel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kristian Acevedo said:
Did he have any cotton growth around his mouth or gills or fins? Bettas seem to be prone to columnaris if they get too stressed out (This is my experience, don’t take this as fact) and I lost a whole sorority this way
It wasn’t very “fluffy”, but it was a white film over his face. He declined very quickly... went from no obvious symptoms to dead in 16 hours.

Do you think I need to take any precautions for the other fish in the tank??

Buganjimo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If it’s not fluffy, it’s likely a bacterial infection. Quarantine him from your other fish as they will get it too, and it is easier to treat it in a qt tank. I don’t know where you live therefore can’t definitively tell you what meds to get, but look for something with bacterial medication on the label.

Edit: just realized he died, I’m sorry. Monitor your other fish incase they get it too. As it was near his face+gils I am inclined to belive it got into his gils and he died because he couldn’t breathe.

jessatiel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Buganjimo said:
If it’s not fluffy, it’s likely a bacterial infection. Quarantine him from your other fish as they will get it too, and it is easier to treat it in a qt tank. I don’t know where you live therefore can’t definitively tell you what meds to get, but look for something with bacterial medication on the label.

Edit: just realized he died, I’m sorry. Monitor your other fish incase they get it too. As it was near his face+gils I am inclined to belive it got into his gils and he died because he couldn’t breathe.
Thank you.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It was most likely culumnaris than because it is sometimes a very quick death for the fish. I'm sorry we couldn't help

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom