White stuff growing on Guppies Help 

allamericangirl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have 9 guppy fry in a separate tank from the parents and other fish. I put them in there about 2 months ago. This morning I found some white stuff growing on the fins of multiple fry. The ones that don't have it are eating the fins of the ones that do. I put some Ick medicine in the water hoping that might cure it. Is it Ick or some other disease? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Does it look like grains of salt or is it fuzzy?
How old are they?
What size tank are they in?
How many and what kind of tank mates?
What's the temp. of the tank?
Do they have a filter?
What are the readings for ammonia nitrite and nitrate?

Sorry for all the questions. The more information the members have, the more they can help.

allamericangirl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It looks kinda fuzzy.

One is 2 months and 21 days. the other 8 are 1 months and 29 days.

They are in a 2.5 tank. Most of them are already sold...they are just to tiny to give them away.

There are nine (1 about 1 inch, the others about 1/2 an inch) and they are all female (from what i can tell) guppy fry. Their parents are (father) Purebred Yellow Tail and (female) a common Fancy Tail.

around 72 degrees

Yes

Hope this helps! i have had Ich before so i put some medicine for that and i looked up velvet. I put Aquarium salt in.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it's patches of white, it's not ich. Please provide the info Lucy asked for so that we can better help you.

Can you post a photo?

What are your readings?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fry that old are too young to sex, they all look like females at that age.

Since it's not ich, I'd do a large water change now to dilute the salt and medication you added. And then we'll go from there.

-Lisa

allamericangirl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i actually don't have the nitrate readings for this fish tank. i guess i should go buy one for it. The only other thing i can think of would have to be Velvet or a bacterial infection. The spots are sorta goldish white but are clearly visible. however, i don't see anything floating in the tank.

allamericangirl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They are all females i know this for a fact because they all have gravid spots. However, there maybe one male. I keep questioning my judgment on him. Otherwise, they are all females.

allamericangirl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
oh, i forgot to say that the oldest of the fry has the spots the most. They are all over her and on her tail. I guess they come be somewhat grainy looking but I'm not sure because the spots are rather tiny.

allamericangirl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That is soooo helpful! thanks soooo much!!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom