White stuff growing on black moor

1. xfrozen Initiate Member

Hello,

I posted this in a different forum for as long as it has been happening, but no one knew what was happening, so I am hoping that someone here will know.

My black moor has had a problem where white stuff (I thought was columnaris) has been growing on him for the past month or so now. Everything cleared up after I treated him with some medication, Mardel Maracyn powder. It was clear for a week and now it came back...

I did a 50% water change yesterday. Everything (ammonia, nitrates, nitrites) are 0.

Here are some links for what it looks like:
    Picture 1

Picture 2

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!:;hi2
    First off what size tank is it.And how long as it been up?
    Thats looks to be fin rot.Im not sure of that as im not that experienced but others will come along.

3. slashgash Member Member

It looks to me like fin rot as well. Have you seen any redness near the white?

4. xfrozen Initiate Member

Thanks :) It's a 29 gallon tank. I only bought the tank when this happened, so it has been set up for over a month now (with the fish).

And nope, haven't seen any red at all.

edit: Should I perhaps buy the medication I had, again? It was for several different illnesses including fin rot.

It has spread to his mouth now.

edit: I have just found "Maracyn-TC" which is for popeye, fin and tail rot, and gill disease. The site that I found it on has pictures relatively close to what my fish has, so maybe it is very well fin rot like the two of you think.

edit.. again: this is what he looks like right now:
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7914/dsc01940k.jpg

5. xfrozen Initiate Member

I'm going to buy Melafix later today based on the positive reviews I've read.

6. snapper Well Known Member Member

It looks like fin rot to me too. If it isn't clearing up with large daily water changes, I would hit it with Maracyn/Maracyn 2 combo.

Do you test your water every day? What's your tap and tank pH? He's clamping his fins and looks very unhappy. Make sure you test and do water changes if you get ammonia or nitrites.

7. xfrozen Initiate Member

Do you recommend the combo over Melafix?

I am unable to do daily large water changes because I have exams coming up and I need to study. Water changes for me take about 2 hrs to do, for whatever reason. So I much prefer to go and buy whatever medication I need.

I do not test the water every day because I have 4 liquid test kits and it gets crazy in the little space I have. I really need to purchase the test strips...

I do 50% water changes every week.

I have not tested my tap pH.

And whenever I do test, and find ammonia/nitrates/nitrites I make sure to do a water change.

8. snapper Well Known Member Member

Medications are rough on your fish's organs and trying fresh clean water is always the first course of treatment, because in many cases it will fix whatever the problem is and not be harsh on your fish. That said, because you said this has moved to the fish's mouth, I do believe the maracyn comb will be better than melafix.

Testing water is important especially in the first couple months of a tank. Probably not what you want to hear, but it's akin to someone saying "I don't have time to walk my dog, isn't there some medication I can give him??" You have the fish, it's your responsibility to care for it properly.

9. xfrozen Initiate Member

He's dead.

10. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I just wanted to say Welcome to Fishlore.

11. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member