white stuff floating in water?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by angelxdust, Aug 30, 2010.

1. angelxdust

angelxdustNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    hey everyone....i have a betta & i've had him for almost a year now. 2 days ago i did a water change (he lives in a big vase) for him, added the water conditionor like i always do. yesterday all was fine, he was really energetic and seemed happy. i just woke up and go over to see him and there is white stuff floating on the top of the water?!!? and stuck to the sides of the bowl. i am literally loosing it....no idea what it is as i've never seen anything like it before.
    he seems energetic still but has a FEW tiny white dots on him and one ventral fin has a tiny white patch growing that i just noticed today too...
    ick? fungus? what is the stuff floating on the top?
    i'm really worried for him

2. OP
    OP
    angelxdust

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Update: Despite the recent water change, I realized I had quite a bit of gravel in there so i took out a great deal of the gravel...performed a 50% water change and theres still lots of stuff in the water but it's looking a lot better.
    should i keep doing water changes every couple of days?

3. riddik1

riddik1Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    1 year
    i would... does your betta still have white dots on him?? i have no experience with bettas but i do with ick. increase the temp to 82 for a few weeks and keep up the water changes till it clears up. hope this helps. good luck

4. cajunfiberco

cajunfibercoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    3 years
    ok first: a vase is way too small for a betta. IMO they need to be in a minimum tank size of 2.5 gallons, though I really prefer them in 5 gallons.

If you are going to keep betta in this small space, you need to do daily water changes to keep the water clean.

I'm sorry to say I cant see any betta being happy in a vase. They just don't have enough swimming/exploring space. They are quite the characters and without caves, toys, and plants they get bored. If you were to move your betta from the vase to a tank, watch how happy he can really be Another concern with vases is that they are too small to heat or filter. Bettas thrive at 78F-80F.

For the white spots, sounds like ich,. and that is from having unclean water and such a small space.

The white stuff, is it stuck to the glass of the vase and crusty? It might be mineral deposits. You can scrape it off with a razor blade.

The white film on the water is what happens when a bettas water isn't disturbed at the surface. This tends to happen when they build nests, esp.\

eta: please read the links and info given in this thread on how to properly care for your betta https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-fish/14253-important-betta-topics-read-first.html

5. OP
    OP
    angelxdust

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    the spots are gone...i'm guessing the problem had to do with the large amount of gravel I had in there, I am going to be keeping up more frequently with cleaning his vase. I am aware that he would thrive in a bigger tank, I moved him to one and problems began occuring so I returned him to his home where there have never been any problems until now. The vase is actually fairly large, way bigger than a fish bowl.
    Anyways, Thanks for the replies...
    Also; most of the stuff has gone away.

6. jclee

jcleeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have a really large vase that is actually 3-gallons. I had to measure how many gallons of water it took to fill it. It's definitely worth while to confirm how much water the vase can really hold. If the tank is unfiltered and un-cycled, you really do need to do daily changes with dechlorinated water. Those links that cajunfiberco posted have a lot of great info.

7. OP
    OP
    angelxdust

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Well the water is now fairly cloudy after performing the water change-wait a few days before performing a 15% water change?

8. cajunfiberco

cajunfibercoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    3 years
    daily water changes in any container that has no filtration. or at least every other day, but really daily needs to be done unless it's like 5 gallons. And they should be full 100% water changes.