White Stripes Appear On My Flaring Bettas Gills Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Sia, Apr 14, 2018.

?

Is this normal or sign of a disease?

1. Its normal

50.0%
  2. Not ormal, maybe disease

50.0%
  1. Sia

Sia New Member Member

Hi guys, I recently noticed when my betta boy flares to white stripes apeear on his gills both sides and after a while they disappear. And would like to know the reason. Should i be worry about that or is it just normal. Let me add that he had some bacterial disease few days ago and after doing the cureing procedures he seems fine and happy now searching and exploring his place all the time and eating well (from my hand).

Attached Files:

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I am not sure what they are, but they should not be a disease.
    My female betta has red stripes on her gills every morning when the lights come on, but then they vanish later on.

3. OP
    OP
    Sia

Sia New Member Member

Thanks for responding, i can take and send more photos if needed, these stripes come with flaring, and they are gone few minutes after he ends flaring.

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Shouldn't be any issue with his health.

5. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Wild bettas have the white stripes on their gill plates and many of the "natural colored" bettas found in stores will have them too. I've got several bettas that have them. Totally natural and they appear/disappear depending on the fish's mood.

6. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

I’ve known them as ‘blushing marks’. They’re completely normal, though I’ve noticed I find them more on plakats than anything else

7. OP
    OP
    Sia

Sia New Member Member

Thanks a lot demeter and kadertheant i really feel relieved now. And i promise to buy him a 5 gallon tank next week as a reward

Thanks a lot, i guess you are right.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  8. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged, please only create one thread per topic

9. OP
    OP
    Sia

Sia New Member Member

Sorry, didn't get how it happened, should i delete one of threads?

10. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, it’s ok they’ve been merged :)

11. Algonquin

Algonquin Well Known Member Member

Hi Sia, I just saw that you messaged me on this topic. Yes, I do have experience with this - it doesn't seem to be very common, but I'm aware of a number of people with male bettas that have seen the white vertical stripes on the gills. Whenever my betta flares, his white stripes show up on his gills. It can last anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours, then it goes away. No reason for concern. I think it's more noticable on bettas that have darker colouring on their heads, like yours and mine. Your guy is beautiful by the way! :)

12. OP
    OP
    Sia

Sia New Member Member

Hi Algonquin, thank a lot for your support you helped a lot. I really appreciate your help. You may be intrested to know for now im keeping him in a 2 lit bowl with some frogbit and a moss ball wich is fully cycled in a mysterious way and im doing my first fishless cycle in a 10 gallon tank. Im on first day of the cycle and maybe i'll post a thread about that. Hope to see you there.

13. Algonquin

Algonquin Well Known Member Member

No problem at all! I think you will find that whatever you are experiencing with your finned friends, someone on this forum has gone through the same thing, and may have some great advice to give.
    Hey, I've just completed a fishless cycle on my 10 gallon tank! No inhabitants yet, waiting on my lfs. I'll be sure to follow your thread on your 10g! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice