White Stringy Thing Hanging From Betta's Belly?

KarlsJr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Apologies if this is a dumb question. My female betta has had a white stringy thing hanging from her belly for a few days. I'm not sure if this is just poop, or some kind of parasite?

She is in a 3.5 gallon filtered tank, 80 degrees F. I feed her 4 pellets every day, and fast on Sundays.

IMG_20180423_122824.jpg
MVIMG_20180423_122817.jpg

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
white fecal matter is a sign of parasites and i do recommend treating for them. She also looks a bit constipated, try feeding her some deshelled peas.

KarlsJr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you! How often should I feed her a pea? Also, should I turn off the filter while medicating? I have a Top Fin "Element" filter with cartridges that have carbon.

Haasio

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I used to feed my betta a piece every third or fourth feeding with the pellets, though some people do it more often. Depending on the medication, the filter's activated carbon may need to be removed. Usually it says what to do on the packaging of the meds

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you! How often should I feed her a pea? Also, should I turn off the filter while medicating? I have a Top Fin "Element" filter with cartridges that have carbon.
I’ve read it is recommended to take the carbon out while using medication because the carbon is porous and would just suck the meds in. But I would not turn of the filter, I think it could kill your bacterial colony.

KarlsJr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the responses everyone! Would replacing 2-3 pellets with 1/4 of a pea, then still feeding 2 pellets at night work?

Haasio

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
make sure the pea pieces are small enough to swallow, but otherwise, sounds okay (someone else correct me if I'm wrong). You can also try fasting the betta for a bit

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would try feeding her peas first and only after doing that for a few days would I even consider medicating. No need to put her through treatment if it isn't totally necessary.

BTW, She is beautiful !!!!

KarlsJr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would try feeding her peas first and only after doing that for a few days would I even consider medicating. No need to put her through treatment if it isn't totally necessary.

BTW, She is beautiful !!!!
Thank you so much for the compliment! She's the first fish I've ever owned so I'm a very proud (and very attached) betta mom. I also need all the help I can get lol.

I gave her a pea yesterday and am doing daily 30% water changes. Today her poop is normal colored (sorry if that's TMI) but she is still bloated. I think I'll keep up with the peas and water changes for now, then medicate if necessary.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you so much for the compliment! She's the first fish I've ever owned so I'm a very proud (and very attached) betta mom. I also need all the help I can get lol.

I gave her a pea yesterday and am doing daily 30% water changes. Today her poop is normal colored (sorry if that's TMI) but she is still bloated. I think I'll keep up with the peas and water changes for now, then medicate if necessary.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone!
I would only feed her peas for a couple of days and then feed her a tiny bit of her normal food for a couple of days and see how she is doing.

You can feed peas again for a couple of days if she still seems to be bloated. I know it is hard when they seem to be begging to be fed but to keep them healthy we can't feed them each time they ask for it. All of my fish beg every time I stop by to look at them.

Once she is back to her totally slim trim healthy self maybe you should should feed her peas once a week and fast her the next day.

BTW: there is never too much information when it come to trying to figure out what is going on with these wonderful creatures.

KarlsJr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's great advice, thank you!

At first I was worried because she was swimming very erratically, but I think that's just her way of begging for food. I set up a camera to watch her from the other room. Turns out she's acting totally normal unless I'm right there.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's great advice, thank you!

At first I was worried because she was swimming very erratically, but I think that's just her way of begging for food. I set up a camera to watch her from the other room. Turns out she's acting totally normal unless I'm right there.
You are very welcome

Yep, They will try their best to tug at our heart strings and make us think they are starving

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom