White Stringy Poo

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by NancyD, Apr 19, 2018.

1. N

NancyD New Member Member

Hello, so a while ago I had a tank with a blue gourami fish and a couple mollie s. My gourami had this long white stringy poo from the start when I got him, and he soon died and it spread to the rest of the tank and whipped them all out. I looked it up and think it could internal parasites.

Anyway, I recently got a new aquarium, bran new aquarium, bran new rocks, bran new fish, etc. I got rid of all the other rocks, not wanting any chance of these parasites getting to my new fish. Today I bought a twig catfish, (this is my very first time having one so if anyone has any basic care tips feel free to share), but not 10 minutes after I put him in the tank with my two mollies did I notice that he has this long line of white stringy poo. What is this and how can I get rid of it? Somebody please help!

Other details, my algae eater is the only survivor from my previous fish epidemic and I have him in his own separate tank away from these new fish just in case he has it too. After seeing the white stringy poo, I put my twig catfish in with him as quarantine to prevent it from spreading to my mollies. Was this a bad idea? What else can I do?

2. M

Madeline Peterson New Member Member

Start by testing your water. Odd colored poop can be caused by stress, and the most common source of stress is bad water. What were you feeding the original fish? What is the water temperature?

Also, are there any other symptoms? Are the fish too fat or too thin? How do their scales look? How about their fins and tail?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018
  3. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256 Valued Member Member

White poo is usually either caused by stress, internal parasites or a bad immune system. The immune system problem is actually common with low-rep large batch breeders out in China, so if you got the guy from a chain store i wouldn't be surprised. I would check your parameters and post them here if they seem high do a water change. If not, try giving him some garlic and if that still doesn't help you probably have parasites on your hands

4. OP
    OP
    N

NancyD New Member Member

Hmmm...I 've never had issues with my water before and I've had some fish live like 8 years without any issues. Any water testing supplies I started with are gone now... I can pick up a thermometer and test strips and stuff tomorrow. Any suggestions on what I might need?

As for other symptoms, in my previous aquarium, the fish got very thin right before they died and there was some slime over their scales. I'm almost certain that that tank was infested with parasites, but this is a whole new aquarium, there is no way they got into this tank.

As for my twig cat, I've owned the fish for a grand total of 6 hours now, the only symptom he has is white stringy poo. But it makes sense that he's stressed, he did have a good hour drive in my car before being introduced to a new aquarium, only to be moved to quarantine 10 minutes later. I'm hoping that it's just stress, but I would still like to know how to deal with parasites and bad water in case it comes down to it.

As for food, my mollies I feed tetra tropical flakes. Every now and then I give them some baby shrimp. (This is also what I fed to My previous aquarium) My algae eater I feed veggie wafers, and he eats some of the mollies shrimp as well. Today I gave him and the twig some lettuce.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018
  5. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256 Valued Member Member

The bad water would probably just be a water change. The twig cat, if he does turn out to be parasite ridden there are certain types of foods that treat internal parasites. the only one i know of is this stuff https://www.amazon.com/Anti-parasitic-Caviar-Live-Coral-Fish/dp/B00LBGQF6K

It works for both salt and freshwater, but is also quite expensive. You might need to do a little research on what will work right for your own catfish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice