White stringy poo and pop-eye

1. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Darn it. Ive got this in my 10g. The most recent fish added was a cory, male guppy and balloon molly. The balloon molly has been showing white stringy poo. The male guppy showed early signs of ich, but i treated that by raising the temp to 86. The ich had disappeared for quite a while now (week and a half) but the pop eye i just noticed today. His eyes are pretty big. What should i treat with? i read an article here that treatment should be made with salt. I am unsure of what to use since i have a cory in the tank. I have heard they dont do well with salt. The temp is relatively warm. I am gonna do a waterchange as it was reccomended on the article i read here on FL. There are no plastics in the tank (other than the heater's sucktion cup) everything in that tank has been used before so i am quite puzzled. Is it contaigous? White stringy poo i have been trying to deal with it but with no result, infact now my female guppy has qhite stringy poo. they are eating other tan that. HELP! what can i do!??! i dont want them to die.

here's what i read:
    https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/dec07/fish-popeye.htm

2. ifixoldhouses Member Member

Api General Cure works well on white poo ime, but it probally cost more than the fish is worth.

3. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks. I will search and see if they ship to mexico. That is the problem, i have NO access to medication here other than methylene blue. That might just work but i am not sure.

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

For the popeye, just change a lot of water. You'll want to keep the tank really, really clean. It should go away in time, but even if the fish loses an eye from it, it can live a pretty normal life. I don't see any reason to medicate for popeye.

The white, stringy poo indicates possible internal parasites. I'd try a medicated food for that, but I'm not sure what to tell you since you don't have much available in Mexico. Sorry you're having problems. :(

5. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

thanks harpua. i'm gonna do several WC's from now on. I just hope i dont bump the tank into a mini cycle, its only been cycled for about 2 weeks.

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Water changes won't cause a mini cycle. Disturbing the filter media before it's well established will. ;)

7. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

oh ok then.

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Oh, Tony, I'm so sorry you're having problems with your tank.
    How frustrating for you.
    I agree about the water changes for pop eye if that's the cause.
    However sometime pop eye can be bacterial.
    First try to treat with water changes like harpua2002 suggested.

About the stringy white poo. Sometimes the color could on the diet, again however, it can be internal parasites.
    Since you don't have access to meds, here's the recipe I gave you in claytons thread.
    I can't vouch for it's success, I never used it, but it's worth a try.

9. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks lucy. i did the WC. I will take pics too if i can.

10. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

So Tony...maybe you can just soak your foods in some garlic juice?? Might do the trick, if I was an internal parasite and someone shoved garlic juice on me...I would jump out and die too!

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

:;laughing

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Tony, are you using the same syphon for all your tanks?

13. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Yes i'm using the same syphon... will that be a problem? i havent done maintinence on the other tanks yet....

LOL ted :giggle:i will do :) they dont sell garlic juice here so i might have to squeeze the garlic myself... will guarlic guard work?

14. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

It's important that you don't corr contaminate your tanks. Either get a couple more gravel vacs or be sure to sterilize it between cleaning tanks.

Garlic Guard is fine to use, but if it's internal parasites I doubt it'll do much for that excpet help build the fish's immune system.

15. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Oh alright. I'll just give the siphon a good rinse with hot water. Darn... it was going so well.. and now disease.. he looks kinda weird with the big eyes ya know...

16. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Personally, I'd use a water/bleach solutions, just be sure to rinse and od with dechlorinator

17. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

ok. same 1/20th solution right?

18. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I've always used 1/19, but 1/20 is ok too.

19. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

oh ok, i guess i should go for 1/19 just incase.

Thank you so much