White Strings Coming Out Of King Betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by TheetyPie, Apr 22, 2017.

1. TheetyPieValued MemberMember

It's been a while since I've posted here, but I really need help. Today when I turned on the light in the tank where I keep my King Betta, King Ezekiel, I saw that he had a lot of white strings hanging from under him-- not sure if it's from where his poop comes out or not. But I'm very concerned, because they weren't there yesterday. Does anyone know what it could be? 0479245dded66637429238134da39423.jpg

2. CaptByMoonlightNew MemberMember

First impression- external parasites. As I am not super well versed in this I can only recommend a few thing to treat it, API general cure and possibly seachem parragaurd.

That being said how long have you had him? Does he have tank mates? What size tank does he live in? What are the water peramitars? Did you de-worm him / treat him in quarantine?

Fingers crossed for you and your boy!

3. TheetyPieValued MemberMember

I've had him for about 4-5 months now, he does have a few tankmates (some Glass cats and two Bumblebee cats) and they live in a ten-gallon tank. Unfortunately I ran out of test kits so at the moment I don't know the parameters, but I'll be getting some Monday. I didn't quarantine him, but he was in that tank by himself for a while before I put the other fish in.

It's just so strange that they randomly popped up after this long, if it is parasites.

4. andychrissytankValued MemberMember

Could be anchor worms, it looks like

5. TheetyPieValued MemberMember

How do I treat them? And how do I know for sure? D:

6. andychrissytankValued MemberMember

You should definitely try to quarantine him and a second opinion is required to diagnose him properly, because it looks like anchorworms, but they are a crsutacean, not a bacteria so treatment is different than just dumping in some chemicals like fungal guard or antibiotics, and may require physically pulling them out with tweezers
    Have you introduced something into the tank recently? and have any marine salt?

7. CaptByMoonlightNew MemberMember

Hrmm they could have piggybacked on the other fish, ether way if he is the only fish showing signs of the parasite I'd remove him and put him in quarantine. It doesn't have to be a tank a large Tupperware or critter keeper also works. And toss in a small filter + heater. 4cbfefeec5f314a12030095aed2711ed.jpg (a sponge filter was added after the photo was taken)

This way you don't have to treat the whole tank/ risk you other fish getting infected.

8. Violet66Valued MemberMember

Deworm a betta? I had no idea.

9. RachelLovesFishNew MemberMember

Yes, that would most likely be parasites. That happened to all my guppies. Sadley, most of them died, but before my last female died, she left me 15 fry! :)

10. TheetyPieValued MemberMember

It appears my problem has solved itself-- I checked on Ezekiel just now and the strings are gone. I don't know what it was, but he's perfectly fine now. : o I'm very happy, though! 1b14b9c13daf3867ba13db820cd7f973.jpg

11. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

They almost looked like tape worms or round worms...Could have been anchor worms though. Even if they aren't in the fish anymore, that doesn't mean they can't still infect him. Look around the tank for them and see if maybe you can get a picture of what they look like in the tank. I'd treat with prazi pro...unless you saw them on his body (attached to it) then you will want to treat with para guard.

12. andychrissytankValued MemberMember

That was a miraculous recovery!
    You should still try to see if they are still somewhere in the substrate though
    and take a look at your other fish
    maybe Ezekiel just rammed himself into that jug and scratched it off himself lol :]

13. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

They are not gone, they retreated up inside him again. I suggest you follow APierce's directions and use Prazi Pro.

14. WhatsUpGuysValued MemberMember

They are definitely not gone, there are more living inside of him. You won't see then until they decide to come out again.

15. ChaoryValued MemberMember

Definitely treat the fish with medication. I personally would treat the whole tank. I used Parasite Guard with good results. Always quarantine every new fish.

16. NadiboyValued MemberMember

Definitely treat the tank(it's only 10 gallons, so there's no point moving the fish to an even SMALLER tank for treatment, and considering the worms most likely came from the apparently unquarrantined catfish, they should ALL be treated, anyways.
    Sidenote- glass catfish are really not suited for a 10 gallon. They need to be kept in large groups and really should have lots of plants. Very delicate fish. Hopefully you plan on upgrading the tank soon!
    Good luck with Zeke!

17. SiggygymValued MemberMember

Hi, I am suspecting I may have a similar problem with my betta... how long would you use the Paraguard for? I started treating him yesterday. Treating the whole tank.
    Apologies for piggybacking in this thread! :)

18. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Seachem suggests you treat with paragaurd for 2 weeks.

19. SiggygymValued MemberMember

Thank you! I am introducing 2 horned zebra nerite snails to the tank, did I read somewhere Paraguard can be harmful to them? What shall I do with them on the meantime? Can they live in a plastic tupeware or something like that? Anyone has any experience on that?

20. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

They should be fine. Daily water changes and make sure they don't escape! lol
    Siggy, are you using paragaurd or prazipro? Prazipro directions are different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice