Help White String- Parasite?

oodelally

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tank

It’s a 15g that’s been running a year and a half. It has an aqueon quietflow 20 filter and a heater set to 78.

My main tank inhabitants are 3 platies, 7 ember tetras, 3 amano shrimp, and 2 nerite snails. Right now it also has 2 honey gouramis, 4 chili rasboras, and 3 Pygmy cories who are all in there temporarily. My platies are only about the size of my embers right now.

Maintenance
I change about 20-30% per week normally over the weekend and I was planning on it today. I use prime and a vacuum.

*Parameters - Very Important

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: I’m out of liquid for this one and so I haven’t checked in a while

Feeding
Right now I’ve been mostly feeding dried blood worms with frozen blood worms about twice a week. I’ve been planning on switching to a better flake food. But now with the cories in there I’ve been feeding them pellets too that the platies gorge on and get really fat. It really stresses me out and is one of the reasons that I want the cories out asap.

Illness & Symptoms

Today I noticed that one of the platies had a long white string coming out that I’m guessing is a parasite. I tried to put her in quarantine but it fell out before I could catch her. I think I was able to get the string out though. She and the other fish otherwise seem fine with no color or energy loss and regular behavior.

I’m definitely still going to treat everyone right away. I have general cure but it doesn’t say anything about parasites on the box. I also have maracyn two and furan-2 and they don’t say anything about parasites either. I’ve never had to treat a whole tank before and I’m worried about the shrimp and snails. I can remove the snails but since the tank is heavily planted and I made sure there was lots of hiding places I don’t seem them too often and I might not get them all out, so I need something that won’t hurt them.

Kjeldsen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the fish is otherwise acting normally I wouldn't worry yet.. Could just be mucus or a freeze dried bloodworm. Platies need some greens or algae in their diet, perhaps all the bloodworms are upsetting their intestine. Can you get a pic?..

oodelally

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I will if I can, I’ve been keeping an eye out and I haven’t seen another yet.

I have a hikari frozen freshwater pack I can use that has greens. I’ve only used it once because I remember the consistency being weird to deal with. One has garlic in it and I saw on another thread that garlic helps so I’m thawing that out now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom