Help White streaks on aquarium glass hard to get out ..

jaysurf7

Valued Member
Reaction score
Greetings everybody, the other day I noticed some white streaks on the back glass of my tank, I started noticing water dripping at the bottom seemed to be a leak somewhere and couldn't figure out if it was the tank or the filter turns out it was the filter the house was dripping from the top of the tank along the back glass.i adjusted the house and it seems fine now (thankfully it wasn't the tank just got it last summer) but now I noticed like white stains along the back of glass where it was dripping,tired to clean it but it doesn't seem to come out,I really hope I don't have to get a new tank because its pretty noticeable. my question would be is there anything that could get the glass clean again and what exactly would make it stain so hard to clean if its on glass or is the glass ruined? any suggestions on how to get it clean again?

TroyMadden

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Our water is very hard and it leaves white mineral stains on my glass covers, I have had good success using vinegar . You might have to give it some time, keep wetting it with the vinegar.

qquake2k

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Scrapers, 50/50 white vinegar and water, and a super coarse scrubber. I used "plastic razor blades" on the plastic frame.

jaysurf7

Valued Member
Reaction score
ill try it with the vinger thanks,seems like a pretty tough stain might have to do it a few times it seems.would it be ok to use a brillo pad on the glass ?

jaysurf7

Valued Member
Reaction score
oh ok ill try the other pads then with a plastic scrapper that should clean it over a few times i would think

TroyMadden

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would be careful with Scotchbrite pads, I have seen a windshield completely ruined with those. Only use the no scratch variety. CLR will work but do not get any inside the tank, it is a strong acid.

Fljoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Magic eraser worked for me but wasnt as bad.
Magic erasers don’t have chemicals in them? They are safe for fish? I have the same problem living in Florida we have very hard water.

Greetings everybody, the other day I noticed some white streaks on the back glass of my tank, I started noticing water dripping at the bottom seemed to be a leak somewhere and couldn't figure out if it was the tank or the filter turns out it was the filter the house was dripping from the top of the tank along the back glass.i adjusted the house and it seems fine now (thankfully it wasn't the tank just got it last summer) but now I noticed like white stains along the back of glass where it was dripping,tired to clean it but it doesn't seem to come out,I really hope I don't have to get a new tank because its pretty noticeable. my question would be is there anything that could get the glass clean again and what exactly would make it stain so hard to clean if its on glass or is the glass ruined? any suggestions on how to get it clean again?
Are you taking about inside the tank or outside? I have similar issues with hard water stains on the inside of the tank. But I’m unclear if the advice given is for outside the tank or fish safe inside the tank remedies.

Rcslade124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Magic eraser do have chemicals I believe. But they are considered non toxic. So if you clean the stains and rinse them out just as you would vinegar you will be fine they dont leave a residue like soaps. Islanvic told me to use them and he did on his tanks and they have finish and everything is fine.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use Magic Erasers on the inside of glass at the water line, on the lids, occasionally on my Aquaclear filters, heaters, etc etc.

Our water is "hard" and has a lot of minerals.

The Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, the generic Home Depot version made under the HDX brand, and others are a melamine foam that are not treated with surfactants or cleaners.

The material is also used for soundproofing and for insulation of piping in some industrial/commercial applications. The open cell foam structure has a very micro-porous surface, which mechanically removes the stain/contaminate from the item being cleaned. It will scratch soft materials like certain plastics.

It will also clean items when used dry. Water isn't really necessary, but it helps the foam collect the stain/contaminant being lifted up off the item. I assume the water helps "lubricate" the surface to also reduce instances of the foam scratching the cleaned item. Similar to when a clay-bar is used to decontaminate paint surfaces of a vehicle and the clay spray lube (soapy water or high surfactant solution) is sprayed on the paint as the clay bar is wiped back and forth.

Any brand of foam block "eraser" products are technically a formaldehyde melanine sodium-bisulfite copolymer foam material.

Although formaldehyde is in the chemical name, its not an added ingredient but part of the formulated process of manufacturing it.

I looked into it after reading on the forum another member used it on their inner tank glass while fish were in the tank. I had already been using it on items pulled from the tank during cleaning sessions (lids, lights, filters, etc).

The formaldehyde part of the chemical name of the foam is non-toxic in this application. The myth of formaldehyde and toxic properties of these eraser products have been de-bunked on various websites.

It's similar to sodium chloride (I'm not a chemist or have a chemistry degree, so dont roast me if my analogy is incorrect). Sodium by itself is a very reactive alkali metal. If you recall from chemistry class in H.S., College or now YouTube, a bit of Sodium placed in water reacts violently resulting in a release of energy and fire !

But when the Sodium is in the substance sodium chloride, it tastes very good when combined with some pepper and other seasonings when I rub it on steaks or fajita meat before throwing it on the pit. Sodium in salt is harmless and it's a vital electrolyte in the human body as well.

So whatever "chemical" that's in the eraser products is part of its structure to make the product, not as an additive, surfactant or solution to aid in the reader's cleaning ability.

The main concern I have when I use them inside the tank, is when the foam eraser block starts to degrade and crumble. If a piece comes off I will pick it out or scoop it up with a net so the fish dont eat it. This hasn't happened to me yet, but I keep a watchful eye out in case that happens .

jaysurf7

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks, a lot of good advice here,this is for the outside of the tank that has the water stains no problem inside,so far the vinger seems to be working a i think i might have to keep at it but seems to be geeting there and CRL and magic eraser i think should work also good.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom