White Stones And Planted Pots

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello everyone, i have a 45 gallon tank whih is bare bottom. I am not too keen to use gravel..or sand yet..reason being cleaning and maintenance. If i put white stones(small ones) and use gravel in my pots for plants, is there a any adverse effect with doing that? I havent seen many people doing it. My tank has guppies and tetra neons.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SSJ said:
Hello everyone, i have a 45 gallon tank whih is bare bottom. I am not too keen to use gravel..or sand yet..reason being cleaning and maintenance. If i put white stones(small ones) and use gravel in my pots for plants, is there a any adverse effect with doing that? I havent seen many people doing it. My tank has guppies and tetra neons.
I think a better bacteria colony can be established on the gravel if it is small gravel stones because it offers more surface space. But if you have lot of media in your filter maybe it can compensate for lack of BB colony in gravel. Also maybe make sure the fishes would not be able to swim under the stones and get stuck That’s what I could think of

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Katarina said:
I think a better bacteria colony can be established on the gravel if it is small gravel stones because it offers more surface space. But if you have lot of media in your filter maybe it can compensate for lack of BB colony in gravel. Also maybe make sure the fishes would not be able to swim under the stones and get stuck That’s what I could think of
I have a canister filter with activated carbon and ceramic rings...plus i add liquid bacteria regularly. Im planning to have slightly bigger stones so that they dont get stuck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom