White spots

1. Absynthe Initiate Member

One of my female mollies has white spots all over her body. It seems as if she has developed Ick. I took her out and put her in my 8 gallon tank in the basement, which was previously used to house the Betta that I had before he died. I've read that if she has Ick, then most likely the other fish in my 33g will have it as well. Is this true? Are my Black & Neon tetras, Plecos, frog, and other Mollies going to get it too?

EDIT: ALSO

On one of my neon tetras, the little guy's gills are like... completely open. The part that flaps out just a little bit past the head. I don't know howelse to describe it as "open." You can see the red of his flesh. Wtf is going on?

2. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

ON your neon tetra, it sounds like he has ammonia poisoning. Have you tested your water parameters recently? If so could you give us your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

3. Absynthe Initiate Member

I keep trying to persuade my mom to buy a water testing kit, but she keeps saying that there is no need for that because we have that BioZyme product.

4. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

There is MUCH need for a water testing kit!! it's the only way to truly ensure the safety and health of your fish.

I would do daily 30% water changes (using a gravel siphon, preferably) in your main tank until you get a testing kit, and in the tank with the ick infested fish, I would use an ick medication per directions on the back of the bottle. Follow directions very closely.

Good Luck