white spots on new fish tail Help

1. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I just bought 3 guppies yesterday they are in my QT it looks like 1 of the females has a few white spots on her tail I have ich treatment I can use but last time that killed nearly all the fish in the tank and i cant do heat treatment because i only have a low wattage preset heater that i cant adjust the temp on i have salt that i can add will salt alone be enough to kill the ich ?
    it is a 5g tank with sand 76- 78 deg preset heater tetra whisper 10 filter fake plants 3 guppies

i have test strips but i dont have the chart so useing a chart offline looks like
    nitrates are in safe zone
    nitrites between 0 -.5
    water is between hard and very hard
    0 chlorine
    alkalinity is about 180 ish
    and the ph is between 7.8 8.4

i did just buy these fish on the 4th so bringing them back is also an option but they didnt have many females and then i may still have ich in the tank

2. Crissandra331 Member Member

If you could post a picture then we could tell for sure whether or not you were dealing with ICH. During breeding my pair scuffle a little & they'll nip them in the butt & I swear it looks so much like ICH, but its not.

And you said your nitrite is between 0- .5 ppm? If there is any sign of Nitrite in the tank I would definitely do a water change right away. As for treating for ICH i would hold off until you can confidently identify it, or someone on here:)

I'm sure someone will chime in soon, in the meantime if you can post a picture:)

3. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

Get the liquid api master test kit for freshwater at petsmart or online. Its like 20 dollars. Also there are so many meds for ich as its one of the most common illnesses. When it comes to meds, read more then whats on the box. Google it to death before you even buy it. Some meds can kill certain fish, Some meds have to be used at a lower dose for certain fish, Some meds are deadly to inverts and scale-less fish. And google how ich works. It has a cycle, and part of that cycle is where it stays in the water rather then on the fish.

4. frogfan Well Known Member Member

i cat get a pic the fish never stay still long enough for me to do anything and the resolution on my camera is awful it just like 3 small white dots on her tail nothing on her gills or the other 2 fish but it defiantly looks like ich to me
    the treatment i have is marinland brand

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The pH is also very high.

6. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Eh i did a water change the ph is probably fine since test strips are generally inacurate and i was using a chart on my computer not off the bottle

I picked up some kordon mathlene blue general disease prevention since the marineland seemd to just kill off the fish last time
    Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app