White Spots On Neon Fins/tail Help!!! Help

1. clarissasjh Member Member

Was observing my tank as usual and I realised 2 of my neons have these white spots on their fins/tail. At first i thought it might be those smaller grain of sand on them but after some time I realised that the spots are actually stuck/grown on the fins/tail.

I went to google and came up with 2 possibilities, fin fungus or ich. I don't think it's ich because the spots are only on their fins/tail, but I'm not entirely sure either. Are there any other possible conditions/diseases?

I did a 20% water change and added half dose of seachem paraguard for my tank because I have quite a number of scaleless fish in it so I don't want to risk going full dose the first time. My water temperature is constantly around 28-30celcius (82-86F) due to the all-year round hot weather here so I'm sure what else I can do if it's ich. All my other fishes seem healthy with no signs of this white spot on their fins/tail. The neons are actually still behaving normally and eating, but this may just be the start of some infection, I don't know. Do I need to isolate them immediately? What else should I do to help the situation? Is paraguard the correct thing to use? Or do I have to get kanaplex or something?

Please advice, thanks!

Water parameters:
    Ammonia-0
    Nitrite-0
    Nitrate-5
    pH-7.6

Here are some pictures I managed to snap but they swim around very quickly and my tank is rather large for the neons so it's really blur.
    2196e6b8-924b-4dc1-9cdf-ded6824aa662.jpg 4f43d616-ff99-4dbe-9b97-eca62b744e26.jpg acafefaf-94dc-46a0-91e1-c78a449daf7b.jpg f66e0f75-5529-42dd-b0e9-d384fdc6d5f8.jpg

2. Shadow2331 Member Member

If you can quarantine them it would be lot better because the fungus can be transmitted from one fish to another, keep your tank temperature on check, Make the lights of ur aquarium dim and darker,
    How to Treat Fish Diseases

use the above link for more information and treatment process

3. Robalot Initiate Member

That definitely appears to be ich which normally appears on fins first. I have used marine salt in the past to kill ich with pretty good results. Keep in mind that just because you don't see ich on your other fish does not mean they don't have it. Therefore I recommend you treat you entire aquarium.

There us no formula that I am aware of for adding salt to treat ich. I simply added 1/4 cup daily to my 49 gal tank till the ich was gone. Took about a week.

Here is a link that will help. It is on a cichlid page but applies here as well.

Understanding and Treating Ich or White Spot

4. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I agree that is ich. I wouldn't quarantine, you need to treat your whole tank.

The AQ salt you can add is 1tsp per gallon of water. So for a 10 gallon it is 10tsp. It is only removed by water changes. So if you do change the water, be sure to add the salt back in. If you replace 1 gallon of water, then add 1tsp of AQ salt to the replacement water before you add it back. Salt is not recommended for scaleless fish. So not sure if I would use it in your case.

@Robalot adding salt daily without a water change is not the way to do that. You have to keep a stable salt level, for it to be effective.

5. Robalot Initiate Member

@AllieSten. I appreciate the correction. I am new to forums so I need to make sure I am very clear when I respond to a post. I meant to say with daily water changes. Thanks for the correction. I will be more careful in the future.