White Spots on my fishes

Shashank1008

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a 42 gallon planted tank. My fishes in the planted tank had been infected with white spots so I had moved few of them to a separate system. I had left few fishes in as I was not able to catch them. All the fishes that were moved out had died and the ones in the tank were doing well. So, I went ahead and added few fishes to the tank this Monday. Today, I could see few white spots on the widow tetras I had added and have quarantined it. The tetras are all active and eating well, chasing each other around and doing their thing. I have left the remaining fishes and shrimps in the tank itself. I have read that the Ick when it falls off will be present in the substrate and might attach itself to other fishes. I really am confused on what to do next as the fishes and the shrimps are very hard to catch. I have API Super ICK cure that I can use. Should I let the fishes stay in the tank or should I remove them and quarantine them. This is my first time that I have encountered ICK and I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks in Advance

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Shashank1008 said:
Hello All,

I have a 42 gallon planted tank. My fishes in the planted tank had been infected with white spots so I had moved few of them to a separate system. I had left few fishes in as I was not able to catch them. All the fishes that were moved out had died and the ones in the tank were doing well. So, I went ahead and added few fishes to the tank this Monday. Today, I could see few white spots on the widow tetras I had added and have quarantined it. The tetras are all active and eating well, chasing each other around and doing their thing. I have left the remaining fishes and shrimps in the tank itself. I have read that the Ick when it falls off will be present in the substrate and might attach itself to other fishes. I really am confused on what to do next as the fishes and the shrimps are very hard to catch. I have API Super ICK cure that I can use. Should I let the fishes stay in the tank or should I remove them and quarantine them. This is my first time that I have encountered ICK and I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks in Advance
Let the fish stay in and if fish die, don't add more. Period. Ich/Ick is really annoying. Raise your temperature up to 86, do 50% water changes every other day, and do this until there are no white spots. I wouldn't mess around with the tank that much, cause that causes stress. Use the medication after the water change. Aquarium salt would also help.

Good Luck

OP
S

Shashank1008

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply,

The problem is that it is a planted tank and I don't wanna use any kind of medication cause that might again harm the plants. Just wanted to know, if I keep the fishes in and if the white spots disappear, is there any chance that it might get into the substrate and might harm the fishes again?? If that happens to be the case then I guess it's better to remove all the fishes from the tank.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Shashank1008 said:
Thank you for the reply,

The problem is that it is a planted tank and I don't wanna use any kind of medication cause that might again harm the plants. Just wanted to know, if I keep the fishes in and if the white spots disappear, is there any chance that it might get into the substrate and might harm the fishes again?? If that happens to be the case then I guess it's better to remove all the fishes from the tank.
Do not remove the fish. It will go into the substrate, and the heat will pressure it. Medication should be used if you have a planted tank, not salt.

PerfectSatyr683

Reaction score
Raise is the tempature by one every day until you get it at 86 don’t do it suddenly or it will kill all your fish

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you're sure that it is Ich ( there are more diseases showing white spots) leave the fish in the main tank, decide how to treat.
Heath (2 weeks aat 86F) or meds. Not noth at the same time. Aeration is a good idea.
Quarantiing fish with Ich is useless.
Read the stickies about Ich first.

Ich isn't difficult to treat and fish don't have to die.

New Threads