White Spots On My Female Guppy

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Prudhvi, Apr 13, 2018.

1. PrudhviNew MemberMember

Hello all,

I started petting fish from 4 months. And i got a female guppy which gave birth to a dozen fry recently. After its delivery i started observing some kind of white spots on my fish which i am unable to figure out. Please me regarding this. Take a look at black female guppy.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

3. Mary765

Mary765Well Known MemberMember

First and foremost, welcome to Fishlore!

Now, A few questions:
    1. What size tank is it?
    2. How many fish and what species?
    3. Ammonia levels?
    4. Nitrite levels?
    5. Nitrate levels?

4. OP
    OP
    P

PrudhviNew MemberMember

Its a 5 gallon tank with guppies in it.
    I am not sure about nitrite and nitrate levels as i dint test the water recently.

Can i directly add the aquarium salt in to the tank. Or do i need to treat the fish separately ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  5. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

It's best to just treat everyone in the tank as ich is highly contagious. After all the spots are gone flush out the salt with two 60 per cent water changes for two days. Make sure the dosage is correct.

If you have plants put the fish in a quarantine and do treatment there.

Also 5 gallons + guppies ain't gonna work. Guppies are really active and you'll need to move them to at least 10 gallons

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    P

PrudhviNew MemberMember

I have fry i my tank. Do i need to separate them?? Before trearing?

I have snails too?? Do i need to separate them as well??

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  7. Mary765

Wait woah woah slow down. Don't jump to conclusions it doesn't even look like ich.

How many guppies in your 5g? How many fry? How many snails?

8. OP
    OP
    P

PrudhviNew MemberMember

Sure.5 guppies and 4 fry and 2 snails.

9. Mary765

Ok.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you are severely overstocked! Which is likely causing an ammonia and nitrite spike in your tank or at least stress from overcrowding and so your guppies fall sick.

Do a 50% water change every day to keep your water parameters stable for your fish. I would remove the sick black guppy to a container of conditioned water in case what they have is contagious.

If you can, bring a water sample to your local fish shop and get them to tell you all the water parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

I would also look into getting a larger tank (10g) as guppies need more room to swim and a 10g or bigger can better support their bioload and prevent ammonia spikes in the future. If not a larger tank then you need to shrink your population down to 2 guppies and your snails, else your bioload will still be too high.

Sorry mate, i know I sound harsh but I'm just saying it how it is if you want to save your fish :)

10. OP
    OP
    P

PrudhviNew MemberMember

Hello mary,

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate your detailed explanation. I will follow all the steps that you mentioned. Thank you so much.

11. Mary765

You're welcome! I'm sorry if it seems daunting but it's a long term solution which should keep your guppies happy and healthy for years to come :D

12. JadenNew MemberMember

Ick you got to treat youe fish gast wuth salt fast before he dies

13. Mary765

As others are saying, feel free to add some aquarium salt to your container which you will be keeping your black sick guppy in. There are plenty of aquarium ich treatment methods online if you do a quick Google search. See what one is most convenient to you :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice