White spots on Male Betta (cannot identify, please help!)

Rodiona

Reaction score
Hello fellow fish keepers!

Please help me to understand what is wrong with my new Betta. I've read about common Betta diseases but nothing seems to fit.
I got the guy 6 days ago from a store, according to them he is 3-4 months old and had been in the store for about 2 weeks.

I have a 30 gallon tank, cycled, sand bottom, 5 live and 1 plastic plants, driftwood. Added a snail 2 weeks ago. No other fish there, just the Betta.
2 filters, heater, light. The tank is out of direct sunlight, no sudden noises, changes of light, etc. I keep the lights on approx. 12pm- 10pm.

The water parameters before I added him were normal: PH 6.5, temp 79F, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5.0.
I also used API stress coat and stress zyme before adding him.
Food: The store recommended "Vibra bites" since this is what they use for their fish. I feed him twice a day.

The Betta is active, eating, runs patrol over the entire tank, like to eat food from the bottom, rather than from the surface, sometimes he is digging lightly into the sand.
But he developed these white spots on both sides- on one side it looks like vertical stripe, on the other - like 2 spots. It doesn't look like ick, the spots look more like discoloration. His bottom fin got chipped in one place but I thought it was ok considering the adjustment, etc.
Also, it seems like he got a bit thinner but I might be just paranoid cause I am worried about the spots and check on him all the time.

I took some photos, hopefully the spots are visible enough. Please advise how I can help my new buddy before it develops further.

Thank you very much in advance and Merry Christmas to all! :)

Attachments

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They look just like normal colour changing. You can tell by his pattern he has the marbling gene- he will continue to change colours for the rest of his life.

OP
R

Rodiona

Reaction score
HI Salem,

Thank you for responding! So is it normal for a Betta to have white spots/discolorations? I don't mean white on his head, I mean dull white spots on his body. I guess the fact that they started a day after I got him made me think he wasn't adjusting too well.

One more question if you don't mind - I want to add a little company for him, 1 catfish or 3 Cory.
What would be a better combination for him? I want something hardy/easy maintenance as I am a beginner. Is it too early to add more fish?

Thanks a lot!

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rodiona said:
One more question if you don't mind - I want to add a little company for him, 1 catfish or 3 Cory.
What would be a better combination for him? I want something hardy/easy maintenance as I am a beginner. Is it too early to add more fish?
Thanks a lot!
Corys aren’t that hardy so they might not be great, feeder guppies or female guppies might be a good option and you could get like 7-10 (maybe a bit less...not sure)

OP
R

Rodiona

Reaction score
HI jkkgron2,

Thank you! Do you also think those white spots are nothing to worry about? (sorry, still a bit paranoid, couldn't save fish in the past, so trying to be always on the alert :))
I want a bottom feeder actually, rather than guppies, I was considering a catfish but the guys at the store highly recommended corys and they looked so fun.
Would my Betta get along with a bristlenose or similar catfish?

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rodiona said:
HI jkkgron2,

Thank you! Do you also think those white spots are nothing to worry about? (sorry, still a bit paranoid, couldn't save fish in the past, so trying to be always on the alert :))
I want a bottom feeder actually, rather than guppies, I was considering a catfish but the guys at the store highly recommended corys and they looked so fun.
Would my Betta get along with a bristlenose or similar catfish?
I personally think that your betta is marbling but I would watch him to make sure he seems to be acting fine and is eating, if you have very stable water parameters you could do corys I just wanted to point out that they are sort of “fragile” little fishies! Not sure about Bristlenose, I think it will work but I would do some more research if you decide to go that route

EDIT: KuhlI loaches are also super fun! I have three (I would recommend 6+ but that’s all the pet store had) they also are pretty hardy fish and have great personalities!

OP
R

Rodiona

Reaction score
Thank you so much about the info about corys, the guy at the store tried to convince me they were hardy and easy to care for :(
Will do more research on catfish - they are so cute, I just need to find the right type so they match.

OP
R

Rodiona

Reaction score
I read about them! They are super cute but don't sound like beginner level, will keep researching, I used to own a bristlenose in the past, she was cool and hardy.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rodiona said:
I read about them! They are super cute but don't sound like beginner level, will keep researching, I used to own a bristlenose in the past, she was cool and hardy.
Yeah, A Bristlenose would be a pretty cool option as long as they are hardy and peaceful like you had said (which is what I’ve heard) That would be a pretty cool way to go, maybe try getting an albino? They look awesome.

OP
R

Rodiona

Reaction score
They do, I almost bought one :) But they are sooooo tiny and mostly nocturnal - I am afraid that in 30 gallon tank with white sand I will simply never see them :)

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rodiona said:
They do, I almost bought one :) But they are sooooo tiny and mostly nocturnal - I am afraid that in 30 gallon tank with white sand I will simply never see them :)
Ok....well at least ur betta won’t attack it! (Just kidding if you wouldnt be able to find it then don’t get the albino unless u wanna be playing hide n seek with ur fish for all eternity!

Corydork

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Rodiona said:
Thank you so much about the info about corys, the guy at the store tried to convince me they were hardy and easy to care for :(
Will do more research on catfish - they are so cute, I just need to find the right type so they match.
I just want to do some justice here, being the Cory geek that I am...
Cories are extremely hardy, and I’ve kept them in the absolute worst of conditions before I figured out that water changes are a must. The only way you can kill them is a pH that’s too high or under feeding them (they’re not just for cleanup). Keep a pH around 6-8 with low nitrates and warm water. They’ll be happy. I’ve seen the things be put through situations too rough for even the hardiest of fish to bear. Just make sure to buy 3+ fat, happy specimens and you’ll be set.
Cories will make a great tank mate for a betta, I keep the two together in one of my ten gallons.
Sorry for the long rant, felt kind of attacked by that.

Also:
I know cories very well, and I breed them in my spare time. If you ever have issues with them, let me know and I’ll be glad to help you out. Trust me, there’s nothing I haven’t already put cories through before, we were all new to a certain kind of fish before.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Corydork said:
I just want to do some justice here, being the Cory geek that I am...
Cories are extremely hardy, and I’ve kept them in the absolute worst of conditions before I figured out that water changes are a must. The only way you can kill them is a pH that’s too high or under feeding them (they’re not just for cleanup). Keep a pH around 6-8 with low nitrates and warm water. They’ll be happy. I’ve seen the things be put through situations too rough for even the hardiest of fish to bear. Just make sure to buy 3+ fat, happy specimens and you’ll be set.
Cories will make a great tank mate for a betta, I keep the two together in one of my ten gallons.
Sorry for the long rant, felt kind of attacked by that.16]

Also:
I know cories very well, and I breed them in my spare time. If you ever have issues with them, let me know and I’ll be glad to help you out. Trust me, there’s nothing I haven’t already put cories through before, we were all new to a certain kind of fish before.
Really? I thought there was something with the parameters u had to get exactly right..? Well sorry if what I said was wrong, that’s just what I have heard from other members on fishlore

fabienne

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rodiona said:
Hello fellow fish keepers!

Please help me to understand what is wrong with my new Betta. I've read about common Betta diseases but nothing seems to fit.
I got the guy 6 days ago from a store, according to them he is 3-4 months old and had been in the store for about 2 weeks.

I have a 30 gallon tank, cycled, sand bottom, 5 live and 1 plastic plants, driftwood. Added a snail 2 weeks ago. No other fish there, just the Betta.
2 filters, heater, light. The tank is out of direct sunlight, no sudden noises, changes of light, etc. I keep the lights on approx. 12pm- 10pm.

The water parameters before I added him were normal: PH 6.5, temp 79F, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5.0.
I also used API stress coat and stress zyme before adding him.
Food: The store recommended "Vibra bites" since this is what they use for their fish. I feed him twice a day.

The Betta is active, eating, runs patrol over the entire tank, like to eat food from the bottom, rather than from the surface, sometimes he is digging lightly into the sand.
But he developed these white spots on both sides- on one side it looks like vertical stripe, on the other - like 2 spots. It doesn't look like ick, the spots look more like discoloration. His bottom fin got chipped in one place but I thought it was ok considering the adjustment, etc.
Also, it seems like he got a bit thinner but I might be just paranoid cause I am worried about the spots and check on him all the time.

I took some photos, hopefully the spots are visible enough. Please advise how I can help my new buddy before it develops further.

Thank you very much in advance and Merry Christmas to all! :)
Your betta is fine, he's just marbling! If he's getting more white he will probably keep getting more white for a while. He's just going to change colour for his entire life. Have fun with your betta friend!

OP
R

Rodiona

Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone for your help and advice, I feel much more confident now!!!
Will do more reading on catfish and corys and get him some friends soon :)

New Threads