White Spots On Live Aponogeton Bulb

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Leahpea, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Leahpea

LeahpeaValued MemberMember

8B19BCFC-7562-4E86-9C70-CBB5F38FEC02.jpeg Hello! I have this live aponogeton bulb with these strange white spots/fungus on it. Has anyone seen this or does anyone know what it is? The aponogenton is growing very well still so I don’t want to throw it out but I’m scared it’s going to begin rotting and dealing with rotting bulbs is quite sickening. Also I’ve been having live bulbs, rotting recently and I don’t know why. They are not buried in the substrate. Any help and tips for these bulb plant problems would be much appreciated, thanks !

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

They are usually easy to keep but do require rest periods like all bulb plants. They prefer a pH between 7 and 7.5, temps around 75F and moderate to low lighting (unless you want fast growth, lots of trimming and lots of ferts).

3. FishLeGeNd

FishLeGeNdValued MemberMember

The white spots are a fungus. The fungus is not bad for the tank

4. OP
    OP
    Leahpea

How exactly do you rest rest your bulbs and how do you know when it’s time? And for how long lol I’ve never done it before and online I’m gettimg a lot of mixed answers

5. Momgoose56

In the fall, reduce light time, allow them to wilt some. Remove them from water. Cut off leaves and roots to 1" from bulb. Put them in well vented plastic container in damp sand. Store in cool dark area for 3-4 months. Keep sand damp (spray top w/spray bottle if it dries out) but not soaking wet. In spring replant in aquarium. You only need to do this every 2-3 years to refresh th bulb and get new growth new bulb production. If you're plants start looking wilted on their own, remove that bulb and rest it.

6. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

7. OP
    OP
    Leahpea

Nope I have no snails in that tank!

8. OP
    OP
    Leahpea

Thank you so much!! This is actually a huge help I wasn’t able to find any information on YouTube or anything like that. One quick question, do you burry the bulb in the sand? Or let it rest on top? I’m just nervous about it rotting!

9. Momgoose56

Well, I don't have any, but I would do like all my bulb plants and bury the bulb part only about 1/2 submerged in the substrate and the rest exposed or lightly covered with medium gravel or lava rock. It appears that the roots in that particular plant are emerging from the top of the bulb so I'd be inclined to set it in a hollow in the sand lined with gravel so more water can circulate around it. I've never actually put any of my plants down in sand. I usually set them on top then put rock or lava around them. In a gravel tank I bury bulbs halfway.