White spots on goldfish? please help

sydrc

I noticed that my black moor has raised bumps on both sides of his body just behind his gills. both fish have one side of gills that are not moving. it almost looks like a bigger scale, but it has white around it. i also notice small white specks on him one at a time but they go away. my oranda has a similar spot on his body but it isn’t raised and looks like a bigger scale. he has a bigger white spot on his tail and so does the black moor. i’ve noticed them twitch or try to scratch on the sand at the bottom sometimes. the oranda seems to be getting lethargic. he had an injury to his head which is in the process of healing. there are white dots on the glass of my tank which i’ve seen before but cleaned them off and the white fluff that was on my oranda’s injury fell off as well after kanaplex and a water change. it hasn’t grown back in over a week. what could be wrong with them? columnaris? ich? any help is greatly appreciated.
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 55 gal
How long has the tank been running? about a month
Does it have a filter? 2 fluval aqua clear
Does it have a heater? no
What is the water temperature? 76
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 2 fancy goldfish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week usually but more often now because of ammonia spike
How much of the water do you change? 25-50% depending on situation
What do you use to treat your water? stress coat, ammo lock, quick start
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
i vacuumed the substrate twice when doing water changes last week and realized i was taking away bacteria. so i’m sticking to just water and poop for now.
*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? i thought it was cycled but evidently not because i’m having an ammonia spike at the moment.
What do you use to test the water? api test strips 5 in 1 and api ammonia strips
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 2.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? was twice a day, just started doing once a day
How much do you feed your fish? was doing 2 pinches each, now i’m doing 1 pinch each fish.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? hikari pellets and algae wafers, omega one pellets, repashy for goldfish and fruits & veggies
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
omega brine shrimp and used to feed blood worms to one fish
Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? black moor for 2 years, oranda for 2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? oranda when i brought him home, black moor when i moved him to the big tank with him.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? they have scratched their sides on the ground one time each is all i’ve seen. the black moor has popeye in one eye. the oranda had an infected hole in his head which is healing nicely. i’ve noticed my black moor swim erratically, in short energy bursts sometimes. nothing else is wrong from what i can see.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? i gave kanaplex for the fungus growing on the oranda hole in the head, and the popeye on the black moor.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? the oranda was bitten at the pet store by a koi fish.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? they were both sitting on the ground in their tanks before i introduced them to each other. now they swim all day, the black moor is always looking for food but that seems to be his normal behavior. there has been some food aggression from the oranda pushing the black moor away from the sand but they mostly get along once the food is gone. i really don’t want to get rid of the oranda so i’m trying to work around it.

Attachments

• 4728FE80-5CD8-43CA-B6D6-5DBE17C9F2A5.jpeg
    4728FE80-5CD8-43CA-B6D6-5DBE17C9F2A5.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 9FEF226A-04E3-44DC-B2C0-A202A37BC85A.jpeg
    9FEF226A-04E3-44DC-B2C0-A202A37BC85A.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 28
  • BACB55A4-A379-4EF7-A496-23B79821A529.jpeg
    BACB55A4-A379-4EF7-A496-23B79821A529.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 64025031-D106-49EB-9413-91EFB64B7EC5.jpeg
    64025031-D106-49EB-9413-91EFB64B7EC5.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 26
  • C953E4FF-114F-4300-AC63-D1278A24B136.jpeg
    C953E4FF-114F-4300-AC63-D1278A24B136.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 28
  • C2FE9992-EEE5-468D-B9E5-4C4041B86436.jpeg
    C2FE9992-EEE5-468D-B9E5-4C4041B86436.jpeg
    625.2 KB · Views: 23

Syamil

I already got defeated by white balls, now someone had risk with white spot. It could be starting of an ich.

Upvote 0

sydrc

I noticed that my black moor has raised bumps on both sides of his body just behind his gills. it almost looks like a bigger scale, but it has white around it. i also notice small white specks on him one at a time but they go away. each fish has one side which the gills are not moving on. my oranda has a similar spot on his body but it isn’t raised and looks like a bigger scale. he has a bigger white spot on his tail and so does the black moor. i’ve noticed them twitch or try to scratch on the sand at the bottom sometimes. the oranda seems to be getting lethargic. he had an injury to his head which is in the process of healing. there are white dots on the glass of my tank which i’ve seen before but cleaned them off and the white fluff that was on my oranda’s injury fell off as well after kanaplex and a water change. it hasn’t grown back in over a week. what could be wrong with them? columnaris? ich? any help is greatly appreciated.
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 55 gal
How long has the tank been running? about a month
Does it have a filter? 2 fluval aqua clear
Does it have a heater? no
What is the water temperature? 76
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 2 fancy goldfish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week usually but more often now because of ammonia spike
How much of the water do you change? 25-50% depending on situation
What do you use to treat your water? stress coat, ammo lock, quick start
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
i vacuumed the substrate twice when doing water changes last week and realized i was taking away bacteria. so i’m sticking to just water and poop for now.
*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? i thought it was cycled but evidently not because i’m having an ammonia spike at the moment.
What do you use to test the water? api test strips 5 in 1 and api ammonia strips
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 2.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? was twice a day, just started doing once a day
How much do you feed your fish? was doing 2 pinches each, now i’m doing 1 pinch each fish.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? hikari pellets and algae wafers, omega one pellets, repashy for goldfish and fruits & veggies
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
omega brine shrimp and used to feed blood worms to one fish
Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? black moor for 2 years, oranda for 2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? oranda when i brought him home, black moor when i moved him to the big tank with him.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? they have scratched their sides on the ground one time each is all i’ve seen. the black moor has popeye in one eye. the oranda had an infected hole in his head which is healing nicely. i’ve noticed my black moor swim erratically, in short energy bursts sometimes. nothing else is wrong from what i can see.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? i gave kanaplex for the fungus growing on the oranda hole in the head, and the popeye on the black moor.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? the oranda was bitten at the pet store by a koi fish.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? they were both sitting on the ground in their tanks before i introduced them to each other. now they swim all day, the black moor is always looking for food but that seems to be his normal behavior. there has been some food aggression from the oranda pushing the black moor away from the sand but they mostly get along once the food is gone. i really don’t want to get rid of the oranda so i’m trying to work around it.
I already got defeated by white balls, now someone had risk with white spot. It could be starting of an ich.
i think it might be a parasite after googling the gills not moving on one side

Upvote 0

Syamil

Ah, yes. It could be what people call 'gill crustacean' that sucks blood. If the fish is getting paler you know what that means. I think the bite of the koi could transport any bacteria or parasite via the bite. I'm new to parasites so I don't really know much about attacks on bacteria. I had an aquarium and half of them were infested with white balls in their gills. The infected dies really soon. Their drainfishes by the way. The two attachments were the time they were swimming and a time of post-mortem. Sad.
20210707_194652_resized(1).jpg

Attachments

• 20210709_070544.jpg
    20210709_070544.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sydrc
Replies
Views