White Spots On Fish Tail? How To Treat?

Jen1111

Tank
  • What is the water volume of the tank?
  • 21-22 gallons, accounting for displacement and the tank not being filled to the top (it is a 30 gallon tank).
  • Does it have a filter?
  • Yes, aqueon quietflow.
  • Does it have a heater?
  • No.
  • What is the water temperature?
  • Not sure, no thermometer. Room temperature.
  • What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
  • Two approx seven inch goldfish. Couple live plants.

Maintenance
  • How often do you change the water?
  • Weekly
  • How much of the water do you change?
  • 20-25%, but for the past few weeks I may have slacked.
  • What do you use to treat your water?
  • seachem prime
  • Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
  • I vacuum.

Parameters
  • Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
  • I don't think so...I know now that is horrible. But that was five years ago.
  • What do you use to test the water?
  • ApI liquid test kits, though I just realized they expired exactly a year ago.
  • What are your parameters? We need the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
  • (readings from test kits with expiration date of a year ago, I don't know how accurate it still is)
Ammonia: 0-0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40
pH: 7.6

Feeding
  • How often do you feed your fish?
  • Every day or every other day
  • How much do you feed your fish?
  • My dad has been feeding the fish so truthfully I don't know. He's gone to sleep, I don't want to wait for him to wake to post this.
  • What brand of food do you feed your fish?
  • omega one medium size pellets.
  • Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
  • Some shrimp, krill type frozen critters occasionally.

Illness & Symptoms:
  • How long have you had this fish?
  • Since 2013.
  • How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
  • The black fish has had swimming problems for months. The white spots I have just noticed thirty six hours ago.
  • In a few words, (more room for details below) what are the symptoms?
  • White spots or patches on the goldfishes' tails, no discernible spots or patches anywhere else. Pale gills on the black fish. Lethargy, resting at tank bottom. Black fish has struggled to swim for months. I know, I'm terrible.
  • Have you started any treatment for the illness?
  • 40% water change yesterday, 40% today, but staggered through the day. I'm scared sudden temperature change will shock fish. Adding apI aquarium salt at dosage somewhat less than recommended, I'm scared of overdosing.
  • Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
  • No.
  • How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
  • White spots on tail. Pale gills.

Please explain your emergency in the best detail possible. (Please use this area to tell us the story of when this emergency began and leading up to now.)
I just need help identifying what these spots are so I can go buy a heater and raise tank temp if it is ich, or research medications if it is fungal infection, etc. Advice for how to treat whatever it is also appreciated, esp if it is fungal. I can barely find any info on it.

Also, are water changes less effective if I stagger them the way I am doing? Like, I changed 40% water today but not all at once; in shifts. I do this because I am worried the sudden temperature change will shock fish? And I don't have that many buckets to prepare 20 gallons of water and just leave it sitting overnight to adjust to room temp.

But please help me identify the spots. I really don't know what to do about them besides water change and salt (and that is not enough) and I feel like every single hour is one wasted.

IMG_1402.jpg

ryanr

Hi, welcome to Fishlore. Bumping this up for you, hopefully you'll get some responses today

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Skavatar
Replies
Views
slim2169
Replies
Views
CoconutTheBetta
Replies
Views