White spots on female guppy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBettaNeptune

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A couple days ago I found some white spots on one of my breeding female guppies. At first she was swimming fine but now she seems to be struggling a little, like really pregnant guppies will do. I don't think she is pregnant, but you never know with guppies. One of my Cardinal tetras used to have a white spot on his fin but he recovered and is now fine. The guppy has it all over her back and fins now. What is it, and how would I treat it without killing any fry in the process? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1422159846.761111.jpgyou can see it best in this pic, she is the one in the middle.ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1422159890.927374.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1422159940.521091.jpgthe guppy in the middle with the redish tail is her, not the blue ones.
I hope o can save her, she is really pretty and before she got sick she was one of my healthiest.
Thank you!

OP
BlueBettaNeptune

BlueBettaNeptune

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The normal temp of the tank is around 80 F. I turned it up a little so tomorrow morning I will check to see if it had risen any. I don't have any sinks in the house that can attach to the vacuum (it's a 30+ year old house) and I have had an air stone in there since I set the tank up about a year ago. Is there a good chance she will survive, and not pass in on to any other fish?

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would use an ich medication than. As long as you treat her she will probably survive. I recommend jungle ich cure, take any carbon out of your filter though, it gets rid of medications in the water.

Sent from my iPhone

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
She looks really fuzzy in the top picture. If she's fuzzy, it's columnaris. ICH treatment will help the symptoms but not the cause. She'll need an antibacterial med, preferably maracyn or similar. Something for gram-negative bacteria.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It doesn't look like Ich to me. ich looks like the fish has been sprinkled with salt.
That looks like columnaris & raising the temperature can make it worse, as Junebug says, you need an antibacterial med

Chunk101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
She looks really fuzzy in the top picture. If she's fuzzy, it's columnaris. ICH treatment will help the symptoms but not the cause. She'll need an antibacterial med, preferably maracyn or similar. Something for gram-negative bacteria.
Just a side question regarding diseases, I understand that ich has to be introduced into the tank, does this also apply to columnaris?

Krystyl have you introduced any fish or plants recently that could of infected your tank?

OP
BlueBettaNeptune

BlueBettaNeptune

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just a side question regarding diseases, I understand that ich has to be introduced into the tank, does this also apply to columnaris?

Krystyl have you introduced any fish or plants recently that could of infected your tank?
Yes, in fact, I have. About a week ago I brought home 2 fancy guppies, one male and one female. The male died a few days ago, so it might have been him that brought it in, but I never saw any white spots on him at the store or in the days leading to his death. I only found them when he died. The female looks fine, she's eating and swimming and being very nosy whenever I try to take a picture of them. Before this, I have had no other problems with sick fish like this.

Chunk101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm sorry I can't help you further, at least we were able to establish that it's possibly some kind of disease.
I recommend you take the advice of the experts, Coradee and Junebug, and look into Columnaris.

OP
BlueBettaNeptune

BlueBettaNeptune

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I did some research on Columaris, and it's not that, it looks like Ich. I've turned the temp of the water up and it has helped, but I'm still puzzled on how the fish that brought it in didn't show symptoms until death.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He probably died of something else and it just happened to coincide with the ICH becoming visible.

I would highly suggest quarantining all new fish for at least a month prior to adding them to your main tank. Without quarantine these issues are going to just continue.

OP
BlueBettaNeptune

BlueBettaNeptune

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How would you quarantine a fish? I know you would need another tank, which I don't have available at the moment, but would you have to give it different food so the non quarantine fish wouldn't be contaminated?? I really have no expertise when it comes to aquatic vetting.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
o_O Food doesn't move from tank to tank unless you help it along. So there would be no need for that.

All you need for quarantine is a plastic sterilite tub and an airstone. Filter is better but you can do daily water changes in the QT if you don't have one available.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
o_O Food doesn't move from tank to tank unless you help it along. So there would be no need for that.

All you need for quarantine is a plastic sterilite tub and an airstone. Filter is better but you can do daily water changes in the QT if you don't have one available.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What the.... ??

Mods. Fishlore is duplicating my posts LOL.

Edit: And it won't let me delete them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom