White Spots On Discus

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Dinoter, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Dinoter

DinoterValued MemberMember

My discus has white spots on its fins, mouth and body. It doesn't look like ich, or any of the other diseases I read about online. It looks the closest to lymphocystis, but the spots in the pictures look much bigger, and the spots on my discus aren't cauliflower shaped.
    The other fish in my 29 gallon tank are:
    1 Cory catfish
    5 neon tetras
    2 otocinclus
    None of the other fish have it. I've gone through 3 rounds of medicine, one for everything, one for fungus, and one for ich. Do you know what it is?
    P.S. don't criticize me on having only one discus, I bought a new 65 gallon and will get more. I just want this discus to get better first

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Pics?

3. OP
    OP
    Dinoter

Sorry, tank is still green from last medicine dose

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    Dinoter

I saw one of the otos trying to latch onto the discus, could this be causing the problem? Should I remove the oto?

5. OP
    OP
    Dinoter

Also, should I quarantine the discus? I don't want to get the rest of my fish sick

6. OP
    OP
    Dinoter

Melody died this morning. She had a hole in her gills. Does anyone know what sickness this was? I don't want any other fish to die

7. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

There's only a few other fish you can keep with Discus, and honestly, it's just better to house them alone. None of those fish should be kept with them. Though there are different kinds of Tetra and Cory that could work. I won't give you a hard time for the lone Discus, but all of your fish are schooling fish with incomplete schools. I know it's annoying to hear that stuff, but I feel the need to tell you. The optimal water temp for them is 82-86. In my experience, they did best at 86. Which is way too warm for the other fish. Can you tell me your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH levels? Incorrect water can quite literally make these fish erode almost. That's the only word coming to mind at the moment lol. I'm sorry about your loss. And I don't mean to pick you apart about it, it's nothing personal, it's just these fish are very sensitive.