White Spots On Betta's Head, New Snail...?

Lissymarks

Reaction score
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallon
How long has the tank been running? 2 months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 young male betta and one black mystery snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Partial water change every 3 days
How much of the water do you change? 10-25%
What do you use to treat your water? API Stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vaccum substrate weekly, now that the tank is cycled. (Filter contains media from established tank, fish was not added until the tank was cycled)

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API freshwater liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice daily with a one day weekly fast
How much do you feed your fish? 3 Aqueon pellets, Topfin betta food, occasional freeze dried bloodworm
What brand of food do you feed your fish? see above
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? freeze dried bloodworms, have been offered, but he doesn't seem interested in them

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 month
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A few hours ago, they weren't present this AM
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? My betta has some pale spots on his head, and appears agitated.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Not yet, plan on doing a 25% water change, treating with aquarium salt, general cure, and a water temp increase to 82.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He seems more agitated, is hanging out on the bottom of the tank, flaring occasionally. He is actually digging at the substrate (gravel mixed with eco complete from established tank.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) When I woke up a few hours ago, I went to feed my wonderful male betta, Teddy. I immediately noticed scrapes on his head/face area. It doesn't appear cottony, and there are no spots on his body. He seems agitated, flaring for no reason occasionally, and is hanging out near the bottom to the tank. The only change in his environment is that I added a mystery snail yesterday. So my thoughts are this: Teddy has hole in the head (salt, general cure, temp increase, prayers to Poseidon) OR Teddy is really, really not pleased with his new buddy and hurt his head attacking it. (I haven't witnessed him showing ANY aggression towards the snail or interest in it at all, but I haven't been monitoring 24/7) OR Teddy has some other weird funk. I planned on treating as if he had Hole-in-the-head, only because I know it needs urgent intervention. Again, 5 gallon lightly planted tank (2 anubias nana petite, doing well) gravel/ecocomplete, fertilized with Easy Green, low flow filter, indian almond leaf, heated to 80, all water tests stable, previously healthy fish. New mystery snail addition. Betta currently eating with white spots on face. I will try to attach a picture, but he's not being particularly cooperative as far as holding still goes.
I don't want to do anything harmful, so I'm curious as to what more experienced fishkeepers would recommend. Thanks for any advice, and sorry for the book.

Lissymarks

Reaction score
B8BD2A2E-49AB-4D0B-9A4C-BDA6C9A2FF43.jpeg
57DC6241-79CD-4353-965D-9BCBC2F1845B.jpeg
A0BFBE99-D264-489C-98FF-46877BC1EDFB.jpeg

teddy'sface.jpeg

I'm trying to add pictures, but I appear to be unable to figure out how, lol.

image1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are they not showing up for you too? I've been having problems with pictures too...

As for medicating your fish, I wouldn't medicate right off the bat if you aren't sure what the ailment is. It sounds to me he just scraped himself on something. As for HITH treatment I typically wouldn't use salt. I bet some do but I am not a huge salt advocate (I have used it but never in the main tank, mainly for baths) and I have successfully treated HITH with just general cure paired with water changes. I wish I could see the pictures, that way I could give better advice, but for now I would just do increased water changes in the case that it is just a scrape.

johnbirg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallon
How long has the tank been running? 2 months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 young male betta and one black mystery snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Partial water change every 3 days
How much of the water do you change? 10-25%
What do you use to treat your water? API Stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vaccum substrate weekly, now that the tank is cycled. (Filter contains media from established tank, fish was not added until the tank was cycled)

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API freshwater liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice daily with a one day weekly fast
How much do you feed your fish? 3 Aqueon pellets, Topfin betta food, occasional freeze dried bloodworm
What brand of food do you feed your fish? see above
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? freeze dried bloodworms, have been offered, but he doesn't seem interested in them

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 month
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A few hours ago, they weren't present this AM
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? My betta has some pale spots on his head, and appears agitated.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Not yet, plan on doing a 25% water change, treating with aquarium salt, general cure, and a water temp increase to 82.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He seems more agitated, is hanging out on the bottom of the tank, flaring occasionally. He is actually digging at the substrate (gravel mixed with eco complete from established tank.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) When I woke up a few hours ago, I went to feed my wonderful male betta, Teddy. I immediately noticed scrapes on his head/face area. It doesn't appear cottony, and there are no spots on his body. He seems agitated, flaring for no reason occasionally, and is hanging out near the bottom to the tank. The only change in his environment is that I added a mystery snail yesterday. So my thoughts are this: Teddy has hole in the head (salt, general cure, temp increase, prayers to Poseidon) OR Teddy is really, really not pleased with his new buddy and hurt his head attacking it. (I haven't witnessed him showing ANY aggression towards the snail or interest in it at all, but I haven't been monitoring 24/7) OR Teddy has some other weird funk. I planned on treating as if he had Hole-in-the-head, only because I know it needs urgent intervention. Again, 5 gallon lightly planted tank (2 anubias nana petite, doing well) gravel/ecocomplete, fertilized with Easy Green, low flow filter, indian almond leaf, heated to 80, all water tests stable, previously healthy fish. New mystery snail addition. Betta currently eating with white spots on face. I will try to attach a picture, but he's not being particularly cooperative as far as holding still goes.
I don't want to do anything harmful, so I'm curious as to what more experienced fishkeepers would recommend. Thanks for any advice, and sorry for the book.
Can't see any photos but from your description it definitely sounds like mouth fungus. Need urgent treatment with fungus cure. Make sure that no activated carbon is being used during treatment as it will remove the medicine. During treatment the water will go very green. Do not worry about that. When treatment is complete use activated carbon to get rid of the colour.
Hope you catch it in time.

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If it doesn't appear cottony or isn't raised, it isn't mouth fungus. Also, this isn't on the mouth, it is the head. If it were a columnaris like or fungal infection, it would at the very least look raised. I feel as though OP would mention if it were raised or not. Pictures will give use our best description.

Lissymarks

Reaction score
I really wish I could get the pics to go through. It doesn't appear raised or textured at all, and it isn't a bright white color, more several small, pale spots.

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't freak out too much over it. For all we know it may even be his color changing.

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's a bit hard to tell with the pictures. I know it's difficult to take pictures but any chance you could get better ones? From what I can see it just kinda looks like he lost scales, but I don't feel comfortable making that conclusion from not having a clear picture.

That was a very clever idea to get the pictures to us!

Lissymarks

Reaction score
Updated with hopefully better pics
https://imgur.com/gallery/Il0sy6l

It's a bit hard to tell with the pictures. I know it's difficult to take pictures but any chance you could get better ones? From what I can see it just kinda looks like he lost scales, but I don't feel comfortable making that conclusion from not having a clear picture.

That was a very clever idea to get the pictures to us!
I wasn't sure how else to get them. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If it isn't raised or fuzzy, I would just increase water changes and keep and eye on his behavior just to be safe. But, I don't suspect HITH. If anything changes just report back and we can help you with medication options or something of the other. We want to be sure before we medicate. The only thing that looks unusual is that streak between his head and the gill plate. Could you describe that more?

Lissymarks

Reaction score
The streak isn't normally there. It only appears when he was flaring at the mirror.

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is there like a whitish streak on the side of his head that looks like the ones on the top? Not the like blue reflective one.

Lissymarks

Reaction score
One on top comes down to his eye level, but there is nothing further down (or back) than that.

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ah ok, nevermind then. I would just do increased water changes. If anything becomes raised at all or change, report back.

Lissymarks

Reaction score
Just an update, after watching Teddy for awhile I caught him trying to get inside the mystery snail's shell. Literally ramming into the trapdoor. The little jerk wouldn't do it when he thought I was watching. His face is completely healed now, and Orbit (the mystery snail) got upgraded to the 75 gallon tank. Apparently Teddy isn't going to accept a roommate. Definitely less Teddy Ruxpin and more Ted Bundy. Thanks for the advice though, I'm like a new mom xD.

Top Bottom