White spots on Betta eye

lyndra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi everyone,

I really need help..

Firesong has a white spot in each eye - they are pretty hard to see and I only noticed tonight because he was being overly friendly when I went to turn out my bedroom light and was following me about.

Each spot is about the size of a pin head and moves when he looks about.

the readings in his tank are
Ammonia: 0
Nitirite: 0
Nitrate: greater then 0 but just under 5 (the colour card is annoying)

He does not appear to have anything else wrong with him, his eyes do not appear to be swollen,

Here is a photo - I have no idea what the white spots are on his body, I can't see them when I'm looking at him so I suspct they are actualy light reflecting bak from the flash.. I had a very very close look for white spot and can see nothing

The first photo shows his eye and the second photo has the white section outlined in yellow to help differentiate from the reflections caused by the flash

736.jpg
737.jpg

I'm at a loss as to what I should do... he has a spot on each eye.

Am I being paranoid again?

Last edited:

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ooh, lyndra, I'm not sure, I hope you get an answer soon though, you never know who this could help in future too.

lyndra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
it's almost impossible to get Maracyn here I would have to order it internationally and then see if it would be possible to actualy get it in- I'll have to go have a chat with LFS to find an alternative ..

I'm very hesitant to dose unless I know it actually is a fungal infection

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i understand that...you can wait untill someone else replys to the post or even your LFS

lyndra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not off teh top of my head, I don't have anything at home (only melafix at home - for the cichlids) so I have to make a trip to the LFS ASAP

I might have something for fungus in the cichlid cupboard - I have not had to treat my bettas with anything except bettafix and garlic so I don't have anything on hand.

I think we might have wunder tonic on hand but I'll have to check it out - I know that Furian2 might be avalible and Acriflavin as well...

Luckily my LFS is great and the guys there know their fish (haha they almost didn't let my dad buy a pair of Damasoni cichlids because I referred to the 'community tank' .. it's a community.. of cichlids!! I had to explain that I only keep bettas and I've been calling that tank 'community' since I was a kid and that really.. there's nothing else in tehre)

But I can't get there until Saturday because I work annoying hours.

I hate using meds because i'm so scared of them (guess who melafixed their gouramis)

Last edited:

farhun

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had to deal with that years ago. I beleive most common reason for that -which is a fungus- is poor water(too old?) and/or some low temperatures. Bettas are very sensitive to water and outside air temps, health risks arise below ~80-82F and for prolonged times.

I used methilen blue baths (each about 20 mins with really blued water in seperate bowls) several times ( in every 4-8 hours). But the real cure was to apply meth blue on the eyes of the bettas in my hand few times by using a cotton ball with few drops of meth blue on it, just by gently compressing or very jently robbing it. I was able to save all my batch of bettas then.

Using some very small amount of salt along with methilene blue may improve those baths, but not too much nor for too long! Original tank needs to be washed and disinfected by using salt as well.

MB is harmless in sane amounts, and should always be used against any kind of fungus or bacteria developmens.

lyndra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Water gets a 30-40% WC weekly and he's only been in this tank about 2 weeks - when I swapped him into this tank I did a bunch of daily WC to make sure the water was as good as I could get - I had my halfmoon in there and was scared of sharing bugs.

I doubt it's water quality but I will get fungus stuff for him ASAP - I am just busy with work stuff from 8-6 each day (I work a fair way from home so it takes an hour to get to work where there are no pet shops) and so everything is closed.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom