White Spots On Angel's Tail?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jamieson22, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Jamieson22

Jamieson22 Well Known Member Member

So my Angel has had a white spot on his (her?) tail for last couple months, maybe more. I chalked it up to some sort of damage. Now noticed a few more.

They ONLY seem to be on the caudal fin and only on the "ribs" of it. I don't it see any anywhere else or in any other fish so makes me think it is NOT ich - but I could be wrong.

Ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KelceyMaeraei

KelceyMaeraei Valued Member Member

I could be wrong, but that looks like ich. Which is weird if it's been there for a few months and no one else has gotten it, as you said. Which spot is the original and which are new? How long have you had the angel? Was the spot there when you got it? If not, when did it appear?
    Also, it's pretty much a safe bet to always post your tank size and parameters any time you have a question as they will pretty much definitely be inquired.

3. OP
    OP
    Jamieson22

pH: 8.3
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 0 ppm
    80F
    Established since Nov 2016.

Moderately plus planted 125g.
    • 4 Angelfish
    • 4 EBA
    • 2 GBR
    • 5 Pearl Gourami
    • 10 Sterbai
    • 10 Aeneus
    • 2 L129
    • 35 Rummynose Tetra (roughly)
    • 9 Nerite
    • 6 Mystery
    I honestly can't remember how long it has been. I am thinking 3+ months with the top one and just more recently noticed the others. Finding a few similar threads of that makes me think maybe this is something other than ich. Odd for it to only attach to tail in multiple cases:

​

@bizaliz3 you seem to be quite an angel expert, have you seen this?

To be safe I started a course of Seachem Paraguard as I have it one hand.

4. M

Maxi1 Valued Member Member

I'll, be interested to see what the spots are too. Beautiful angel!

5. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Definitely not ich.
    I don't know what it is. But I've had Angels with similar spots before. Most often on the longer finned angels.
    It's almost like little knots on their fins. I really don't know how to describe it.

But I think your angel is perfectly healthy. And while I cant say exactly what it is or what causes it.....I CAN say confidently that it is NOT ich.

6. OP
    OP
    Jamieson22

Thanks @bizaliz3 appreciate the input! If it were ich I'd expect it to have spread to/from the body but definitely want to verify.

The way it seems to be only on the "ribs" in the caudal makes me think it may be scar tissue or similar. Imagine dealing with fins that are probably close to 9" from top of dorsal to bottom of anal fin can put a lot of stress on the tail!

This is the angel that tricked me into loving angels so want to make sure I do anything I can for it. Don't tell the others but this is my favorite :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice